New member checking in....

New registered users and members. please look here first and post to the "New member checking in..." topic to introduce yourselves. Also look here for news, public announcements, Message Board Guidance and Rules.
Forum rules
If you want to start a new topic or post a public announcement here, please ask the Webmaster or Site Admin first. Please post ONE ITEM PER TOPIC.

New members please add your 'New Member' posts to the topic "New member checking in...."

Announcements that are out of date will probably be deleted.

Re: New member checking in....

New postby Glyn Meredith » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:13 am

Welcome to GH, Jeremy, and thank you for signing in. Ask questions; you will get answers.
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby jegupton » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:12 pm

Thanks everyone! Yes I am defiantly a novice just starting out here! I look forward to learning. Now if this online seller will just ship the replacement gong I ordered so my house does not sound like a mortuary!
Jeremy E. Gupton
jegupton

New postby Marty101 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:24 pm

Welcome Jeremy-catch you in the pocket watch Forums!
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

NAWCC #: 0168154

New postby Paul Jones » Tue May 03, 2016 8:17 pm

Hello Members,

I am a new member and I live in Yorba Linda, California.

As a hobby, I have been doing simple clock repair work for over fifty years, but most enjoy making my own tools. I am now one of the top ten home made tool publishers at http://www.homemadetools.net where my builder page is http://www.homemadetools.net/builder/Paul+Jones .I have several machine tools for clock repair and general purpose work but one of my most useful lathes is a small 3" swing Unimat I bought in 1970 and have made several modifications to improve its capabilities (see http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/modi ... #post11976 ).

I am nearing retirement and would like to learn more about the field of horology and expand my skills and tool capabilities. I hope to learn from the information provided by this membership.

Regards,

Paul Jones
Last edited by Glyn Meredith on Tue May 03, 2016 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed URL
Paul Jones

NAWCC #: 0179806

New postby brownsrplm » Tue May 03, 2016 10:19 pm

Welcome Paul,
You certainly came to the right place to learn new things! You will also find out that members here are quite helpful and willing. Looking forward to seeing you on the forums...
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

New postby Marty101 » Tue May 03, 2016 11:05 pm

Hey Paul! Pleased to meet you and welcome. I only specialize in hands myself,but we have some experts around here in just about anything. Hope to see you around-
Marty
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

New postby veritas » Thu May 05, 2016 6:01 pm

Hello Paul, good to have you here.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

New postby theretroshave » Sun May 22, 2016 8:33 pm

Hello, my name is Brian. I have recently become fully obsessed with watches and decided to pursue my lifelong enjoyment of watches as a hobby. I have been picking up old watches that are out of repair with the idea that I will bring them back to life when I have acquired the skills to do so. I have a few basic tools and have always had a knack for disassembling/repairing/rebuilding things. My username is an indicator of one such hobby, wet shaving. I have a small collection of vintage razors and shaving brushes, a few of which I restored the brush handles and replaced the brush knots. I look forward to putting my spare time, which is somewhat rare as I'm sure many of you know, into taking the TZ Watchmaking courses, acquiring tools, and hopefully furthering my education as it relates to horology in general. I am excited to learn from and with a community of like-minded enthusiasts, and I thank Glyn for granting me membership to the forum. All the best!
Brian Treusch
theretroshave

New postby Glyn Meredith » Sun May 22, 2016 8:51 pm

You're welcome, Brian. The more questions you ask, the more answers you will get. We pride ourselves on being friendly and cooperative. There are many years of experience among the stalwart members here, and you will get help, if you ask.
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby Marty101 » Mon May 23, 2016 10:20 am

Welcome Brian!
Glyn is correct-questions will stir the pot around here. You'll get the help need here. Anyone breaking into this hobby needs help, and this is a great place to get it.
Hope to see you around-
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

New postby theretroshave » Mon May 23, 2016 6:51 pm

Glyn Meredith wrote:You're welcome, Brian. The more questions you ask, the more answers you will get. We pride ourselves on being friendly and cooperative. There are many years of experience among the stalwart members here, and you will get help, if you ask.

Great to know. I can't wait to get started on my lessons, and I'll definitely ask for help if/when I come up against a problem I can't handle.

Marty101 wrote:Welcome Brian!
Glyn is correct-questions will stir the pot around here. You'll get the help need here. Anyone breaking into this hobby needs help, and this is a great place to get it.
Hope to see you around-

I arrived at Global Horology because I was seeking your assistance with hands on a watch so thank you for indirectly leading me here. I'll reply to your PM from yesterday shortly.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Brian Treusch
theretroshave

New postby mldenison » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:31 pm

Hi Folks,

I just registered and wanted to introduce myself.

I'm retired after a lengthy stint as a computer software engineer. Prior to that, I was an active USAF member with visits to 'exotic' places like Korea, Vietnam, Iran and Saudi Arabia.

I collect and shoot older firearms. I also collect and restore antique radios. I have a modest clock collection, The most interesting one, to me, is a Sessions kitchen clock that my grandmother's grandmother got when she got married. It has a penciled name on the back with her and her husband's names and a date from 1871.

I've lately gotten interested in pocket watches. I currently have around a dozen - nothing especially valuable but I like them.

I'm an NAWCC member as well as a IHC185 member. I live in York, PA around 10 miles from the NAWCC museum which I visit every year.

Anyway, I'm glad to have found this board.

Mort in York, PA
Mort Denison
mldenison

NAWCC #: 103456

New postby brownsrplm » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:49 pm

Mort,
Welcome to GH! I too am retired Air Force and collect all sorts of things. I also do a bit of gunsmith work from time-to-time. You will find that this is the right place to find out just about anything you would need to know about clocks, pocket and wrist watches from some of the most knowledgeable folks around. You even have the opportunity to start your own blog if you wish and talk about most anything within reason. Again welcome aboard...
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

New postby veritas » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:32 am

Welcome to Global, Mort and Brian.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

New postby Marty101 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:37 pm

Hey Mort glad you made it here. :D