Which wristwatch are you wearing today?

This is where wristwatches are discussed

Moderator: Cary Hurt

Forum rules
Please post ONE ITEM PER TOPIC and post ATTACHED PICS only, NOT IMAGE LINKS.

Re: Which wristwatch are you wearing today?

New postby veritas » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:31 pm

This watch is nothing that special but i like the looks of it, made by HMT.
Its not on my wrist in this pic, but on me now.
watch 1.JPG
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

New postby brownsrplm » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:54 pm

Kevin,
HMT has been around since 1961 and your particular watch was noted as being a work horse of a watch. My guess late 60's or early 70's for yours?
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

New postby veritas » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:37 pm

Thanks Ray i was hoping it has a decent movement and will serve me well, at buy it now for 23 dollars and free shipping i thought a good deal, its 17 jewels also.
Kevin West
veritas

New postby brownsrplm » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:39 pm

Kevin,
I believe these run up in the hundreds of dollars, I'd be curious to find out. I may do a bit of research on this one for you.
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby brownsrplm » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:08 pm

Did a bit of seek and find. Your watch is a military dial watch, not particularly expensive yet nice none-the-less. They do make high end watches as I thought, however the manual winds are near the bottom. Cool watch though!!
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby brownsrplm » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:04 pm

Today's watch is my Reliance 17J Automatic. It's waterproof!!! I still get a kick out of that when I see it. That phrase went out in what, the 60's? Anyhow she runs well and keeps good time, that's what counts (no pun intended).
DSC00153.JPG

DSC00154.JPG
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby veritas » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:10 pm

Thanks Ray, i enjoy it and its keeping time.

That,s a nice one you are wearing today Ray.
Kevin West
veritas

New postby brownsrplm » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:14 pm

Today I am putting on an interesting watch that my wife bought for me for $10. It is a Wittnauer diamond jubilee watch. I was rather surprised when I opened it up the first time since I didn't know who had made it. It is rather hard to keep track of time without the chapter ring, but looks real nice on the wrist!
DSC00155.JPG

DSC00156.JPG
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby brownsrplm » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:20 pm

Today's entry into what I'm wearing is this old Caravelle (by Bulova) watch with a nice school clock look to the face. I bought this one at a yard sale and had to clean off years of dead skin etc to get down to the bezel, gave it a good cleaning and off she went. It hasn't let me down since and is a great timekeeper.
DSC00162.JPG
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby brownsrplm » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:27 pm

Today I brought out one of my old favorites. It's a 1968 Orient 21J King Diver. A friend of mine that I was stationed with in Alaska gave it to me. It had a broken crystal and was not running at the time. He got it from his father who was stationed in Okinawa at the time. This watch has one of the largest crystals available for a wristwatch and was hard to come by. It also was too small for my wrist so I had to add a 1" extender to it in order to keep the original band.
DSC00163.JPG

DSC00164.JPG
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby John Arrowood » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:02 pm

Pulled this one out Thursday, I've owned it for a while. Thin (1/4 in) Omega rectangular 10k gf case, 17-j cal 625 movement.

omega.jpg
John Arrowood
John Arrowood

NAWCC #: 022912

New postby brownsrplm » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:58 pm

John,
Nice one! I love the older more unusual models myself. I have a 1952 Sea master and a 1968 constellation.
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby brownsrplm » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:00 pm

Class is the name of the game today. This is my Citizen Eco-drive diamond series perpetual calender watch. I usually put something like this on when I dress up. Wife had a birthday, and well you know how that gets sometimes!
DSC00165.JPG
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby brownsrplm » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:23 pm

Today's watch has a story behind it. It is a 1958 Rolex Zephyr that I got in a trade with my brother-in-law about fifteen years ago. At that time, the watch had a cheap brown strap on it because the original owner was conned out of the bracelet in favor of the strap. The gentleman was elderly and didn't know what he was losing. Anyhow as the story goes; my brother-in-law wanted a tune-port setup for his engine he was building and I had one, so we swapped even. I went on eBay about a week later and found the bracelet for I believe at the time $78. It is a period correct original Rolex bracelet and fit my big wrist perfectly. Currently these go for around $2,000 or more on eBay. So since the original deal with him this watch has has almost tripled in value compared to a tune-port for a 350. Not too shabby!!!

DSC00166.JPG

DSC00167.JPG

DSC00168.JPG
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby brownsrplm » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:42 pm

Today I'm wearing my Russian Boctok watch. I purchased this watch in a second hand store in Palmer Alaska while stationed there. According to the shop owner, Russian soldiers would come over from the Bering Straight during the Alaska State Fair which is held annually in Palmer. When they didn't have enough American currency they would pawn off valuables they were carrying in order to go on the rides etc.. I traded a couple of old bayonets for it.

DSC00191.JPG
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

PreviousNext

Return to Wristwatches