Basic instructions for posting with images

Ask how something works or for help in posting. NAWCC-related topics that were in this forum are in the Chapter 192 Meeting Room archive.

Basic instructions for posting with images

New postby Dave Coatsworth » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:46 pm

I've created a PDF document that shows how to create a post with pictures on this message board. The instructions are given through screen captures, so new members can see exactly how the process works. Click here to view the instructions.

[Ed: Link is broken.]
Last edited by Glyn Meredith on Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Broken link
Dave Coatsworth

Re: Basic instructions for posting with images

New postby DW Herrington » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:39 am

Dave,
I would like to have the ability to post images together Like Robert Jones or Fred Hansen does. On the old 185 board I sold around 125 watches. Each sale had images seperate. It would be easy to see why I ran up 6 or 700 posts in less than a month.
I'd rather have narrowed that down to 125 and with the same results.

Is this something that I have to have a program for on my PC?
Don
NAWCC 153167
W i n d e r s - K e e p e r s
DW Herrington

NAWCC #: 153167

New postby Steven D. Jencso » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:37 am

Don,

You can add multiple images to a single message using this MB. Dave's document describes the steps for adding two pictures to a message. I have done three in a message, but I'm not sure what the maximum is that can be inserted in a single post. The BW Raymond Grade 69 topic contains several messages that have multiple pictures.

The best thing to do is create a test posting, and keep uploading new attachments, and hit the preview button. This is the best way to see how it will look.
-Steve

Steven D. Jencso
NAWCC Member since 2003
Steven D. Jencso

NAWCC #: 158228

New postby Glyn Meredith » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:42 am

Steven D. Jencso wrote:Don,

You can add multiple images to a single message using this MB. Dave's document describes the steps for adding two pictures to a message. I have done three in a message, but I'm not sure what the maximum is that can be inserted in a single post. The BW Raymond Grade 69 topic contains several messages that have multiple pictures.

The best thing to do is create a test posting, and keep uploading new attachments, and hit the preview button. This is the best way to see how it will look.

Maximum for one post is eight attached images. Because we use thumbnail images that expand on clicking, attached images can be almost any size, as long as the file is not too big - less than 300K - which will allow you a good clear jpeg image for most needs. Higher resolution than 72 dpi is unnecessary for PC screen resolution and will simply result in a larger file that may exceed the message board limits.

If you have any problems at all uploading pics, please send them to me for re-sizing and posting.
Last edited by Glyn Meredith on Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:15 am, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Update on how to post pics.
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby DW Herrington » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:27 am

Thanks, I will give it a try.
I was thinking about the image hosting. Each one will cost x amount. so 3 on a posts saves the cost of 2 in essence. Plus I won't appear to be Blabbermouth or Blabberhand? :?
Don
NAWCC 153167
W i n d e r s - K e e p e r s
DW Herrington

NAWCC #: 153167

New postby Larry Soucheck » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:51 am

I just tried to post a message with my own linked image. It would not allow it because it exceeded the max 800 wide limit. Apparently this max dimension applies to off-site hosted pictures as well as attached here? If so, will have to do some resizing.

Larry
Larry Soucheck

NAWCC #: 150501

New postby Greg Davis » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:41 am

Larry, yes the pixel limits apply whether hosted elsewhere or attached here.
Regards,

- Greg
Greg Davis

Skype Account: greg.davis120
NAWCC #: 150941

New postby Andy Krietzer » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:31 pm

I got a new computer in January, still trying to figure it out. It uses Windows Vista. I use to be able to copy a picture and paste it very easy. Now I can't find the picture after I have copied it. I right click on the image, click "copy". Then when I go to "browse" (below this message box), I get a box that says "Program Files - Windows Photo Gallery" in the address bar area, and in a box below, no pictures but a series of items such as "en-US, ImagingDevices, PhotoAcq.dll, PhotoClassic.dll, WindowsPhotoGallery", etc. When I click on "WindowsPhotoGallery", thinking it should open the photo Gallery, it simply puts a url into the "filename" box next to "browse" (below this message). If I click "add the file", it won't let me. I think I am seeing the commands for the actual folders, but not the images.

I'm not finding the images as shown in step 7 of Dave's instructions.

I know there is a simple way of doing this! Where am I going wrong?

Andy
So many clocks, so little time.

The International 400 Day Clock Chapter 168, Global Horology Chapter 192.
Andy Krietzer

NAWCC #: 140894

New postby Glyn Meredith » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:18 am

Andy, if you can't find any particular image on your PC, use the "Search" function. If you save pics to your PC by downloading then from a website etc. you can decide where the pics are kept until you file them. I always download mine to my desktop and then delete or file them when I am done with them. When you have located the file you want to upload, a double click on it will put you ready for the last step, which is to add the file to your message.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

New postby Stephan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:44 am

Here is another idea.
I always create a new directory on any computer I use titled so -
" C:\ATEMP "
The "temp" is self explanatory and the "a" in front makes it go to the top so I don't have to look for it.
Anything I download or create for upload goes in there so it is easy to find.
If I decide to keep the file it gets moved to a more suitable spot.
Come cleanup time I have no trouble finding all the temp stuff I have been working with.
Works for me.
Learning all the time.
Stephan Gaal

Proud Member of Global Horology and Chapter 149
Stephan

Skype Account: stephan.gaal

New postby Andy Krietzer » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:26 pm

OK, I was finally able to locate the photo album (1500 + images on my computer) through the "browse" button (below). I see thumbnail images with a name instead of the xxx.jpg as in Dave's instructions, step #7 above.

Trial and error. I can send a picture in my email, but it is downsized to a thumbnail size image. In my photo album, the images are each about 2.4 MB, 3000 X 2000 pixels. In the email I sent, the image is only 3910 bytes, 100 X 75 pixels. If I click on it, I can open up the original large image, but I believe it is going back to the original image on my computer (so I could not email this to someone else, they would only see the thumbnail size and not be able to see it larger).

I want to be able to change the image size for use on this MB. Do I need a program to get the 300 Kb size picture I am looking for? I did a little online search and found a program at http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
Is this the type of program I need? Unfortunately my computer would not allow me to download it because it was an unknown site and has the .exe code that it says to not trust.

My computer has "Windows Photo Gallery" where my pictures are found, and has a way of adjusting images sizes for emails; 230 Kb, 1023 X 768 pixels is "medium" which I could use. When I try to send this to my email address in a box that opens after I adjust the image size (through Windows Photo Gallery), I get a warning message that says:
The host 'yahoo' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly.
Subject 'Emailing: 025', Account: 'yahoo', Server: 'yahoo', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D
So does this mean I can't forward the image to my email address, or what am I doing wrong, why it can't find yahoo?

Andy

Andy Krietzer

New postby Glyn Meredith » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:00 pm

Andy, I use Photoshop to re-size images but it's not cheap. I'm sure some of our members can recommend other applications but you should take a look at http://www.picnik.com/app It's a very useful and easy-to-use on-line application and it's free.

Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

New postby Andy Krietzer » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:23 pm

Thanks guys!

I'll try and see if I can get this to work. I used Glyn's recommended picnik site to resize below 800 pixels, and Stephen's suggestion to start a temporary folder. Fingers crossed!

Andy

Breakfast.jpg
Breakfast.jpg (46.15 KiB) Viewed 6511 times

Andy Krietzer

New postby Andy Krietzer » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:25 pm

Believe it or not, I did it!

I'll post the image in another area of the board.

Andy

Andy Krietzer

New postby Cary Hurt » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:19 pm

For basic photo editing and organizing, I'm a big fan of the newest version of Picasa, available as a free download from Google. Picasa doesn't have a resize capability though, so for that, I use a freeware program called Pliska Image Resizer. It's a small and simple program that allows you to resize single photos or entire batches. When I've shot a batch, I actually resize them on my memory card before transferring them to my hard drive. Helps to speed up the copying and editing process. Pliska is available for download from CNET's download.com.

Regards,

Cary
Cary Hurt
Cary Hurt
GH Moderator

Skype Account: cary.hurt
NAWCC #: 143360

Next

Return to Message Board Help Desk