Repeater Mechanism - Is a lot missing?

Watches with calendar functions, chronographs, etc.

Moderator: mesomachines

Forum rules
Please post ONE ITEM PER TOPIC and post ATTACHED PICS only, NOT IMAGE LINKS.

Repeater Mechanism - Is a lot missing?

New postby Mikie_T » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:57 pm

I found this sad repeater mechanism that is attached to an Elgin 18 size, Grade 336 movement. It appears there is a lot of the mechanism here but it seems some parts are missing.
What parts do you see that are missing?

Yes, it is rusted but not really too bad. I intend to clean it as best I can and use it for show-and-tell as a repeater movement.

Thanks for looking everyone!

complications.jpg

complications enlarged 1.jpg

complications enlarged 2.jpg

complications enlarged 3.jpg

complications enlarged 4.jpg

Mike
Mike Turner

Elgin National Watch Company, Elgin, Illinois.... Founded 1864. Makers of Pocket Watches, Wrist Watches, Bomb Sights and Precision Instruments.
Mikie_T

Re: Repeater Mechanism - Is a lot missing?

New postby Mikie_T » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:11 pm

This is the top plate of the movement showing the serial number, etc.

13969036 18s 17j GR336 1908.jpg

What y'all think?
Mike
Mike Turner

Elgin National Watch Company, Elgin, Illinois.... Founded 1864. Makers of Pocket Watches, Wrist Watches, Bomb Sights and Precision Instruments.
Mikie_T

New postby 4brokenow » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:18 pm

Mike,

Is that a false pillar plate the mechanism is attached to? Or did the original pillar plate get modified? Do you know who would do this type of work? I personally have never seen one like this. Very fascinating.

Can you imagine the value if the watch was in good working condition! Very cool indeed.

Phil

PS. Be aware this board is set to shut-down any day now. The owner no longer wishes to maintain it and no one is taking over as far as I know.
Phil Rickert
4brokenow

NAWCC #: 170509

New postby Mikie_T » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:28 pm

Well, I didn't know the board was about to be shut down.... Does that mean everyone is going back to the NAWCC board?

To answer your question, I just bought this movement yesterday. I don't have it in hand yet. The seller didn't have any picture from the side so I am not really sure what the mechanism looks like on the other side of the bottom plate.

The plate itself looks like it was removed from a Fusee movement and adapted to this Elgin movement. I have never seen a repeater mechanism like this. I have been researching other repeaters and I see some that are Swiss that look similar.

More work to be done.

Mike
Mike Turner

Mikie_T

Return to Complicated Watches