The "Digby Boat"

Did you come by your watch in an interesting way? Does your watch come with a story? Provenance adds value ... and interest too. Tell your watch provenance story here.

Moderator: Irwin

Forum rules
Please post ONE ITEM PER TOPIC and post ATTACHED PICS only, NOT IMAGE LINKS.

The "Digby Boat"

New postby Canuck » Fri May 06, 2011 4:34 pm

More stories? You bet. This is an 18-size Dueber that I bought about 30 years ago. I bought it from an elderly fellow who had inherited it from his grandfather. The grandfather had been a banker in Bathurst, New Brunswick, Canada. In about 1915, while he worked at the bank, a sailor came in, asking for a loan. He had no collateral and no address. The fellow was not able to extend the loan. However, the fellow had a nice pocket watch, so the banker loaned him $ 5.00, and the sailor left the watch with the promise to return and redeem the personal loan. He never came back. So the banker kept it as his own.

Some years later, after he retired, he moved to St. John, New Brunswick, Canada where he lived out his days. Time weighed heavily, and he didn't have a lot to occupy his time.

St. John NB is on the Bay of Fundy which is noted for high tides. A ferry makes many trips a day across the Bay of Fundy from St. John to Digby, Nova Scotia. On the trip from Digby to St. John, the ferry blasts its horn as it nears the docks. The elderly chap would haul out his trusted Dueber and pronounce that the ferry was (usually) right on time. The family jokingly referred to the Dueber as "The Digby Boat"!

Hampden.JPG
Doug Sinclair
Canuck

Re: The "Digby Boat"

New postby richiec » Fri May 06, 2011 5:55 pm

Great story, Doug. What movement is in this watch? You definitely need an accurate watch in the Bay of Fundy so as not to get caught in the tidal wave on the incoming tide up river. My wife and I went there on a cruise about 3 years ago. I was impressed with the hospitality of the people, they would let you buy things and pay on your way back to the boat. Very trusting people. Great shops there. I bought a 6 size Waltham in a GF case there in one of the local antique stores, my wife let me have one extravagance while on the cruise. CAn you post pictures of the movement?
Richard Cross
richiec

NAWCC #: 0168470

New postby Canuck » Fri May 06, 2011 10:21 pm

The movement in the Digby Boat. S # 703155, 15-jewels. Looks to me as though it might be a mosel 11, but I am not an expert on anything, but especially not Dueber.

hampden 2.JPG
Doug Sinclair
Canuck

New postby richiec » Fri May 06, 2011 10:25 pm

According to the Hamden site, it is a model 2, of which 7500 were made in 1890. they made 500 in this run, one of 14 runs. Nice, pretty movement, Doug.
Richard Cross
richiec

NAWCC #: 0168470

New postby veritas » Fri May 06, 2011 10:45 pm

Nice watch Doug and a interesting story to go along with it.
I have a few Hampdens and like them too.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

Return to Watches with a Story