This might become a good story one day.

Did you come by your watch in an interesting way? Does your watch come with a story? Provenance adds value ... and interest too. Tell your watch provenance story here.

Moderator: Irwin

Forum rules
Please post ONE ITEM PER TOPIC and post ATTACHED PICS only, NOT IMAGE LINKS.

This might become a good story one day.

New postby Stephan » Mon May 25, 2009 12:08 am

Here is a watch with a story but I am not sure how the story will turn out.
I got the movement from ebay about 3 years ago.
It was not running and as you can see the serial number is missing.
I bought it to practise on and was happy it did not cost much.
He needed a mainspring and a regulator arm and a couple of hands but I managed to get it to run.
Next thing to get was a case and that took a while but eventually I found a suitable one made by Waltham.
As I learnt more about watches I thought it would be interesting to see what I could find out about this piece.
My first enquiries were not promising and it appeared I might have a bit of junk but I was not convinced.
I decided to strip it completely and see what was here. This gave a better result.
I found most of the parts had the number 777 marked on them.
Even the hour and Min wheel had a small 7 stamped on them.
I next took the top plate to a Jeweller and had him examine the area where the serial number should be.
His opinion is that the damage was done before the plate was gilded. IE there is gilding over the damaged area.
The next bit of luck was finding a very good site on model 57 movements run by Ron Price. http://www.pricelessads.com/m57/
I learnt a lot from that and sent Ron a few pictures of this movement.
He was able to confirm that the movement was likely complete to itself and narrow the time frame for when it was made.
Here is a list of what it MIGHT be -:

We know the number ends with 777, so here are the possibilities from the Serial Number Ledger (assuming standard factory):

64777 Aug/63 expansion balance
84777 Aug/63 expansion balance
132777 Sep/64-Feb/65 exp bal
151777 May/65 exp bal
164777 Aug-Sep/65 exp bal
193777 Nov/65-Jan/66 exp bal
206777 May-Jun/66 exp bal
221777 Aug/66 exp bal
265777 Dec/66-Jan/67 exp bal
279777 Mar-Apr/67 exp bal
300751 - 301000 "Not Made" (interesting! employee watches?)
304777 May-Jun/67 exp bal

The numbers not listed above either have a feature this movement does not or are missing something this movement has.
There is also the fun possibility this movement might be 300777.

Thus is the story so far.
Perhaps you can help this along a bit if you have or have observed one of the numbers in the list above.
That would then be another possibility I could cross off the list.

I may never know the full story of this movement but it has certainly provided me with a lot of pleasure along the way.
777 001.jpg
777 001.jpg (205.39 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
Learning all the time.
Stephan Gaal

Proud Member of Global Horology and Chapter 149
Stephan

Skype Account: stephan.gaal

Re: This might become a good story one day.

New postby bratdaddy » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:15 am

Is this movement flashed or gilt? Not that I'm any sort of authority, but the others I've seen are gilt and all have had a reference to regulator patent. It would be so cool to own a watch from a group intended for privileged employees. I've included a picture of my A&T key wind only because its date is known and my help bracket a time frame for yours.

DSCN0952.jpg
H. "Mike" Penson
bratdaddy

NAWCC #: 0168775

New postby Stephan » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:54 pm

To my eye it looks gold plated as I would expect was done in some kind of a bath rather than gilt which I have always equated with the application of gold leaf.
If I have my terms confused here please excuse a new player who still has many things to learn.
Learning all the time.
Stephan Gaal

Proud Member of Global Horology and Chapter 149
Stephan

Skype Account: stephan.gaal

New postby bratdaddy » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:30 am

I recall a post somewhere that went into depth about the process used to gilt (s?) plates. Your watch appears to be the more attractive flashed or plated process. I actually acquired a GMW key wind with flashed movement. It has yet to be serviced leaving it unsuitable for prime time. Allow me to translate that. I need a smart person to take down the movement and tell me if the plates were altered or if all is legit. I feel better now.
H. "Mike" Penson
bratdaddy

NAWCC #: 0168775

Return to Watches with a Story