Dent & Frodsham Family Watches

Did you come by your watch in an interesting way? Does your watch come with a story? Provenance adds value ... and interest too. Tell your watch provenance story here.

Moderator: Irwin

Forum rules
Please post ONE ITEM PER TOPIC and post ATTACHED PICS only, NOT IMAGE LINKS.

Dent & Frodsham Family Watches

New postby fjmenez » Fri May 08, 2009 5:25 pm

In 1967 I was fortunate to be able to purchase a Frederick Dent lever pocket watch in a sterling silver case English HM
1855. The case is original to the movement. The dial and movement are signed F. Dent London. In 1974 Dr Vaudrey Mercer
the author of Edward John Dent & His Successors included mention of this watch in his book, stating that F. Dent watches
commenced with S/N 22665. After obtaining a copy of his book I was surprised to see that 22665 was in my possession.
After the death of E.J. Dent Frederick his stepson continued to sell watches signed E.J. Dent. Eventually he sold watches
with his name on them. ( A photo of this watch was sent to him prior to publication of his book.) Also included in his book
is a photo of a Dent bracket clock made by E.Dent & Co London S/N 58590 Circa 1915 that belongs to me. My Arnold & Dent
Marine chronometer is also listed No 916 Circa 1835.

If anyone else has a F. Dent pocket watch I would like to hear from them. I have been collecting Dent & Frodsham Family
serial numbers for many years. The purpose was to help identify the year of manufacture Serial numbers were extracted
from various publications and auction catalogues. The dating of watches from serial numbers is not an exact science.
Sometime the Hall Marks on the case is helpful. I guess that is why we have the word circa.

Frank Menez NAWCC 15520

100_0142a.jpg
100_0141a.jpg
Last edited by Glyn Meredith on Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Added pic.
Francis J. Menez
fjmenez

NAWCC #: 015520

Re: Dent & Frodsham Family Watches

New postby Glyn Meredith » Fri May 08, 2009 5:30 pm

Welcome to Global Horology, Frank, and thank you for an interesting post.

Glyn
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby dweiss17 » Fri May 08, 2009 7:16 pm

If I remember correctly, DENT was a watch or clockmaker to the Queen.

At one I did have a watch with markings similar to what I stated above. I cannot remember the correct inscription.

But it had something definitely to do with the Royal Family.
Daniel M. Weiss
dweiss17

NAWCC #: 008331

New postby fjmenez » Fri May 08, 2009 8:28 pm

In April, 1841, E J. Dent obtained the Royal Warrant. Chronometer and Clock Maker in ordinary
to Her Majesty (Queen Victoria)

In 1863 The firm of E.Dent & Co. was appointed to be Watch and Clock Makers to H.R.H
Prince of Wales by special warrant. They were already Chronometer Watch and Clock
Makers to the Queen.
Francis J. Menez
fjmenez

NAWCC #: 015520

New postby Glyn Meredith » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:00 am

Update: Frank recently sent us some photos of this watch; please see the opening post. The photos will enlarge by steps if you click on them.

Glyn
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

Return to Watches with a Story