My Grandfather's 16s Illinois

Did you come by your watch in an interesting way? Does your watch come with a story? Provenance adds value ... and interest too. Tell your watch provenance story here.

Moderator: Irwin

Forum rules
Please post ONE ITEM PER TOPIC and post ATTACHED PICS only, NOT IMAGE LINKS.

My Grandfather's 16s Illinois

New postby Ted Brown » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:29 am

I long ago inherited a nice 16s 19-jewel 3-position lever set Illinois that belonged to my grandfather who passed away around 1966.I think this watch is what got me interested in pocket watches,I was just fascinated by this Illinois when I was a little kid. There's nothing unusual about that, but the way this watch came into the family is. If I remember right, back in the 1930's, Gramp was taking down a stone wall on his land, and found the watch sealed up in a tin can,stashed way inside the wall. He tried to find the owner, but no one knew who put it in there or why, back then there was no way to really find out, so he ended up with it.It's a great watch, I carry it every now and then, looks like new and keeps perfect time! I
Theodore J. Brown Sr.
Ted Brown

Re: My Grandfather's 16s Illinois

New postby Marty101 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:41 pm

Ted,that has to be the most unusual story about finding a pocket watch I have ever heard. I would guess someone stole it,hid it,and had trouble finding it again...maybe hid it at night or something. Neat story! Sure wish I had something similar to share,but I paid for most of mine. :lol:
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

NAWCC #: 0168154

New postby Neilywatch » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:53 pm

I have a similar story to share from one of my clients whose grandparents survived the Holocaust. They hid the watch in a small bucket of rice, before they were taken away by the Nazi. When they were liberated from the camps they returned to their home. The watch was still there, hidden in the rice. I got to service it. That watch and the Rolex that survived 9/11 are my 2 most memorable repairs.
Neil Wohl
Neilywatch

NAWCC #: 0122281

New postby Glyn Meredith » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:30 pm

Ted Brown wrote:I long ago inherited a nice 16s 19-jewel 3-position lever set Illinois ...

Please post photos or send me some, if you can, Ted. We love photos.

Many thanks for your support.
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby Ted Brown » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:01 am

Thanks guys!.I think what Marty said is probably what happened.It's odd because we lived out in the sticks in a little town with zero crime.Especialy way back at that time. To Neil , those people were awful lucky just to have survived, getting their watch back too was a real miracle!What kind of watch was it? To Glyn, I don't have a way to post pictures right now, I'd like to but don't have the camera equipment.Thanks again, Ted.
Theodore J. Brown Sr.
Ted Brown

New postby Marty101 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:23 am

SAM_8016.JPG
Red,just an an example of what my $50 Samsung SL605 can do to show you don't need much,OK?...and also trying to do my best to stay on topic :lol: here's a shot of my Illinois- a 16s/17j/Bunn.
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

New postby Glyn Meredith » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:35 am

Red?

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

New postby Neilywatch » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:35 pm

Ted Brown wrote:Thanks guys!.I think what Marty said is probably what happened.It's odd because we lived out in the sticks in a little town with zero crime.Especialy way back at that time. To Neil , those people were awful lucky just to have survived, getting their watch back too was a real miracle!What kind of watch was it? To Glyn, I don't have a way to post pictures right now, I'd like to but don't have the camera equipment.Thanks again, Ted.

It was a Gent's Gold Hunter about 18-19 ligne. Not by any brand we recognize nowadays.
Neil Wohl
Neilywatch

NAWCC #: 0122281

New postby Marty101 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:58 pm

Glynn-yes,red...I didn't have a color choice at $50 for a camera! :oops: Red! :lol:
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

New postby Ted Brown » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:58 pm

Nice Bunn Marty, I have one just like it, in fact it's running in my pocket right now. I've been trying watch pictures with my so-called smart phone (it's a lot smarter than I am!).They look pretty good, can those be sent to be posted here?All this high tech electronic stuff is beyond me....Ted.
Theodore J. Brown Sr.
Ted Brown

New postby Ted Brown » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:00 am

Neilywatch wrote:
Ted Brown wrote:Thanks guys!.I think what Marty said is probably what happened.It's odd because we lived out in the sticks in a little town with zero crime.Especialy way back at that time. To Neil , those people were awful lucky just to have survived, getting their watch back too was a real miracle!What kind of watch was it? To Glyn, I don't have a way to post pictures right now, I'd like to but don't have the camera equipment.Thanks again, Ted.

It was a Gent's Gold Hunter about 18-19 ligne. Not by any brand we recognize nowadays.
Theodore J. Brown Sr.
Ted Brown

New postby Ted Brown » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:01 am

Neilywatch wrote:

Thanks again Neil!
Theodore J. Brown Sr.
Ted Brown

New postby Glyn Meredith » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:16 am

Yes, Ted, you can post pics here from your phone. If you have any problems with doing that, please e-mail the pics to me at webmaster@global-horology.com

Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Return to Watches with a Story