Fusee main spring repaired

Ask here, if you have a watch or clock that you need to get cleaned or repaired. Any contracts for work are not the responsibility of this message board. Please make sure that the terms of your agreement are clear. Watch/clockmakers should only perform work that has been estimated and agreed with the customer.
Forum rules
Please make sure that the terms of your agreement are clear. Watch/clockmakers must not perform work that has not been estimated and agreed with the customer.

Please post ONE ITEM PER TOPIC and post ATTACHED PICS only, NOT IMAGE LINKS.

Fusee main spring repaired

New postby brownsrplm » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:15 pm

I have this 18s Fusee made approximately in 1853 with a Chester mark. It is complete with a good balance, chain is intact, however the main spring is broken or there is some other issue with winding it. It will not turn with a key, I have tried to let down the spring, but it does not move. My guess is, it is broken and lodged in the barrel to where it acts frozen (I've run into that before with American made watches). I'm not competent enough to do a tear-down on one of these and due to shakes, bad eyes etc these days I don't want to start on one! If you have an inclination for these please PM me about it...

DSC00610.JPG

DSC00611.JPG

DSC00612.JPG

DSC00614.JPG

DSC00615.JPG

DSC00616.JPG
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

Re: Fusee main spring repaired

New postby veritas » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:17 pm

Wish i had those skills Ray or i would be more than happy to help you.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

Re: Fusee main spring repaired

New postby Dch48 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:25 pm

To release the mainspring, you have to take the dial off. Have you done this? There is a small, usually black gear with a pawl held by a screw. You have to loosen the screw and then disengage the pawl from the gear. Holding the arbor with a properly sized key to control release works well. The key will be a smaller one than what you wind and set the watch with. It's also best to have the chain wound entirely on the spring barrel if possible. Removing the entire movement from the case is also advised.

I'm new at fusees myself but this is what I have found so far.
Donald C. Henderson
Dch48

Return to Cleaning and repairs needed!