18s Mainspring Repair

Ask here, if you have a watch or clock that you need to get cleaned or repaired. Any contracts for work are not the responsibility of this message board. Please make sure that the terms of your agreement are clear. Watch/clockmakers should only perform work that has been estimated and agreed with the customer.
Forum rules
Please make sure that the terms of your agreement are clear. Watch/clockmakers must not perform work that has not been estimated and agreed with the customer.

Please post ONE ITEM PER TOPIC and post ATTACHED PICS only, NOT IMAGE LINKS.

18s Mainspring Repair

New postby skitimes » Mon May 25, 2015 4:40 pm

Hello..Happy Holiday..I have 2 Elgin Key wind Mainspring Barrels That Need Repair..Springs Came Off The Arbors..Also Have 1 Elgin Lever Set That needs mainspring Fix...So A Total Of 3...Barrels are Out..Mike,
Michael Tyburski
skitimes

Re: 18s Mainspring Repair

New postby cannon pinion » Mon May 25, 2015 6:56 pm

Mike - if all you need is the springs hooked back on the arbor, you can do it yourself if you are careful. Just examine the curve of the entire spring and try to keep any bends you need to make in line with that. You use a couple of strong tweezers to form the end of the spring around the arbor, avoid making sharp bends. Then hook it in place. Put the cap on. Try it in a pinvise to make sure it winds. Do it a couple of times to insure the end is securely hooked.
May take a few tries to get it .
If you still feel you want someone to do it for you, PM me and we can arrange something.... A
Andrew Yale
cannon pinion

New postby skitimes » Tue May 26, 2015 3:50 am

thanks...I have tried that on one of them...alas..No Luck..certain things I am a Putz...I actually have total of 4..2 with the arbor off prob...and 2 stem wind Elgin barrels to be looked at and rebuilt...so I could ship all 4 to you and let you have at it if you want the Job....Mike...let me know...
Michael Tyburski
skitimes

New postby PWfanatik » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:20 am

Mike
You may be able to do this for the cost of a set of winders and some viewing time on you tube on the topic.
As another poster above said, you should get it right with a couple of tries.
It is just a couple of weeks since I did one the first time.
David.
David Arthur Banes
PWfanatik

NAWCC #: 0179658

Return to Cleaning and repairs needed!