Need help with a Benrus...

Ask here, if you have a watch or clock that you need to get cleaned or repaired. Any contracts for work are not the responsibility of this message board. Please make sure that the terms of your agreement are clear. Watch/clockmakers should only perform work that has been estimated and agreed with the customer.
Forum rules
Please make sure that the terms of your agreement are clear. Watch/clockmakers must not perform work that has not been estimated and agreed with the customer.

Please post ONE ITEM PER TOPIC and post ATTACHED PICS only, NOT IMAGE LINKS.

Need help with a Benrus...

New postby Camo » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:34 am

If this is posted in the wrong area, please feel free to move it.
Hi all, I'm the noob on board, and I'm in need of help/parts.
I have a very old Benrus, that belonged to my Dad many years ago. My Dad passed away two years ago; while Mom and I were going through some of his things, I stumbled upon a couple of his watches. I took the Elgin Sportsman in for repair, along with the Benrus. The Elgin repair went well, but of course the Benrus had problems. The repairman said it had a broken balance staff, and couldn't be repaired, as he didn't have any staffs for the Benrus brand. That figures, as that was the watch that I really wanted repaired. In all fairness to the repairman, let me say he is a highly respected watch maker in our area. He is 93 years old, and has worked at this trade for 70 years! He is in a very old historic building, and has literally floor to ceiling cabinets full of watch parts. I thought for sure he would have the parts on hand.
Anyway, I started googling, looking for parts and information. As near as I can tell, the watch is a BB2. I found parts for other models of Benrus, but not the BB2.
I apologize for the rambling post, but I really want this watch fixed. Where do I go from here?
Thanks,
Camo
Roger K. Thompson
'Tis better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...
Camo

Re: Need help with a Benrus...

New postby John Moane » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:32 am

Hi Camo, Could you post a photo of the movement, as I have a number of Benrus movements and one of them could have the balance you need. Regards, John
John Moane

Skype Account: John Moane
NAWCC #: 0163808

New postby Camo » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:33 pm

Hi John, and thanks for the reply.
Following are the best pics that I have:

Benrus1.jpg
Benrus2.jpg
Benrus3.jpg

On the back of the mechanism is this info:
unadjusted
Swiss
fifteen 15 jewels
Model BB 2
Benrus Watch Co.
CXW
In the pocket area below the balance wheel, it looks like F89 or maybe 989. There's some more numbers below the balance wheel, but I can't see them very well.
On the watch face is:
Benrus
shock absorber
Swiss
On the case back is:
On the front of the case back, it looks like it might have had "ETA". About half of that lettering is gone.
Inside the case back is 5548, in what looks to be hand-scribed fashion.
From my limited research, it seems to be a "barrel case" style watch.
I know Dad had it after WWII, because I have pictures of him wearing it.
I don't know how old it is, and I'm sure it's not worth much to anyone but me.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Camo
Roger K. Thompson
'Tis better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...
Camo

New postby Cary Hurt » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:22 pm

Camo,

My old Bestfit book lists the Benrus BB series as being based on the ETA 900. If you'll look at this movement on Dr. Ranftt's site, I think you'll agree that they look to be the same.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&ETA_900

Jules Borel list staffs under both Benrus BB and ETA 900. I'm sure that other material houses will have them as well. Perhaps your local watchmaker may find one in his stash if he looks for the ETA number instead of the Benrus.

Your movement doesn't appear to be shock protected, so I would place it in the 1940s, give or take a few years.

Hope it works out for you.

Cary
Cary Hurt
Cary Hurt
GH Moderator

Skype Account: cary.hurt
NAWCC #: 143360

New postby Camo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:39 am

Hi Cary, thanks for the reply and the link.
According to the watch dial, it is a shock absorber model. Apparently the system failed in this one.
A member here PM'd about repairing the watch for me, at what I consider a reasonable price.
I'm considering his offer, as I really want this watch fixed.
Great buncha folks here.
I see you're in the Deep South too. Had some friends over in Rainesville, years ago.
Camo
Roger K. Thompson
Camo

New postby John Moane » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:53 am

I have a Belforte balance which should be the same balance. If you would like to try it send me your address and will ship it to you. John
John Moane

Skype Account: John Moane
NAWCC #: 0163808

New postby Camo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:20 am

Well, I've reached the end of this Benrus watch saga.
Several PM's passed between "watchguy" and myself.
He made a labor price offer, told me what it would take to fix the watch, and gave me a time estimate for said repairs.
I agreed to his terms, and sent the watch to him.
The Benrus returned to me today.
I couldn't wait to rip the box open.
Let me tell you, this watch is now a thing of beauty! As soon as my camera batteries charge up, I'll post some pics.
The transformation that Derek effected upon this timepiece is nothing short of astounding, especially if you look at the "before" pictures.
I know that there are other, very capable watch repairmen on this board, so I'm not trying to slight anyone. It's just that Derek stepped up and offered his services first, and I'm more than pleased with the results.
If anyone here needs repairs done, I heartily recommend Derek Hadfield, "watchguy".
As a postscript to John Moane, I apologize for not answering your earlier posts. The offer of a staff was very thoughtful of you, and the the offer was very much appreciated. I don't know beans about repairing watches, that's the reason I didn't accept your generous offer. My hands are more suited to repairing items upon which I may apply judicious use of an instrument of persuasion, i.e., a very large hammer.
Roger K. Thompson
Camo

New postby watchguy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:52 am

Thanks Roger. It was a pleasure working on your dad's watch. I love restoring these old watches! :D

Derek
watchguy

NAWCC #: 0168246

New postby John Johnson » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:50 pm

Stories like this one remind me just how much I enjoy Horology. It also makes me greatful to have this message board to enjoy it on!

A word of warning to Roger. Your story is exactly how most of us "watch nuts" got started in this little game called Horology. When you have such skilled, and reasonably priced watchmakers like Derek to bring these works of art back to life again, it becomes all to easy to hear another flea market orphan calling out your name.
John Johnson
John Johnson

Skype Account: John E Johnson

Return to Cleaning and repairs needed!