No Marks

Military watches, chronometers and other timepieces

Moderator: pocwatjim

Forum rules
Please post ONE ITEM PER TOPIC and post ATTACHED PICS only, NOT IMAGE LINKS.

No Marks

New postby micky0121 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:02 pm

Hi All
Just acquired a Pocket watch with no markings except " Services Army " and on the bottom of the dial "Foreign" . Can anybody point me in the right direction for any info please.
On the right side of the crown at around 5 past there is some sort of press pin any ideas on this ?.
Thanks
micky0121
Michael Smith
micky0121

Re: No Marks

New postby richiec » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:16 pm

Pictures needed to advise about maker, age, etc. Nothing on the movement? What kind of case is it in?
Richard Cross
richiec

NAWCC #: 0168470

New postby micky0121 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:23 pm

Hi richiec .
Not sure if doing this right :D have attatched photos. Do not know how to take front off or how to find what type of case . forgive :? .
micky0121
Attachments
DSCN1120.JPG
DSCN1121.JPG
DSCN1123.JPG
DSCN1125.JPG
Michael Smith
micky0121

New postby cannon pinion » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:30 am

what you got there, mick, appears to be a Brit version of what we call a "dollar watch." Probably circa late 1920s. No jewels, likely a pin pallet escapement, and in this case, pin set- that is you push the little pin on the top of the case while turning the crown to set the time. A cheap watch made to run for a couple of years and be discarded. The Ingersoll Yankee was the famous one here in the states, millions of them sold. Yours seems similar to that pattern, there were a lot of spin offs from the Yankee, some made under license in UK.
However, it is atypical for dollar watches to be pin set - all the ones I've seen are crown set. Roskopf movements - the more durable and well made European ancestor of the American dollar watches - were pin set. It's hard to judge from your photos if your's has some Roskopf features.
At any rate, a nice, collectible in decent shape but likely of little value beyond innate interest. It's typical of low end watches to have fanciful markings on the dial to enhance their value in a buyers eyes - thus "Services Army."
I'd guess this is a Swiss made cheapie for export to the British market, circa 1924.
Andrew Yale
cannon pinion

New postby cannon pinion » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:36 am

PS - as to getting it out of the case, it APPEARS to be a "twist and shout" set up, like the Ingraham dollar watch.
That one comes out of the back of the case, and the movement is held in the case by some tabs that twist into grooves on the case. To get it out you have to turn the movement about a 1/4 turn to loosen it.
Look it over CAREFULLY and see if that gives you a clue. Dont force anything.
There isnt much service to be done on this kind of movement so you might just leave it cased.
Does it run?
Andrew Yale
cannon pinion

New postby micky0121 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:25 am

Hi cannon pinion ,
Thanks for the great info , it's not running but it has something I like about it :D . Just starting with this hobby ,reading everything I can understand and looking at every watch I can find.Really enjoying so far even with the hiccups I have suffered so far , as with my click spring vanishing across my room never to be found :oops:
So thank you for helping with my knowledge.
micky0121
Michael Smith
micky0121

New postby cannon pinion » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:09 pm

I can see why you like it. I have quite a few beat up dollar watches that I keep cuz the look of them appeals to me.
Now the standard warning: Horology can be addictive. I started out with one 12 dollar movement and some cheap dime store screwdrivers. Three years later, I have cabinets full of watch parts, tools,crystals, cases, broken movements, working movements with no cases, as well as a small assemblage of watches that I repaired that are cased and keep time.
It can overwhelm you, but its 500% better than watching TV,
Andrew Yale
cannon pinion

New postby micky0121 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:33 pm

cannon pinion
Too late for the warning , I'm hooked well and truly :P . Trying to buy what I understand is a good make "Bergeon " tools instead of buying cheap and having to replace later. some of them are too expensive so will compromise with them,
Looking forward to going to my first clock and watch fair at Birmingham (uk) 15th Jan . Going to lock up my wallet :D .
My first Waltham 12s 1894 15 jewels is without a case and now click spring . Probably not worth a lot but a challenge for me .
Thanks for the help .
micky0121
Michael Smith
micky0121

Return to Military Timepieces