What photoshop can do

Tips and techniques for taking the best possible pictures of your timepieces.

What photoshop can do

New postby dweiss17 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:07 pm

While these photos were hapazardly put into a collage, they are not shown in their finished preparation
either for these pages of GH or on the calendars I produce that benefits the NAWCC. Many have been presented more
beautifully than shown here.

Printed out the presentation looks even better than on your screen.

Daniel M. Weiss
NAWCC #: 008331

Re: What photoshop can do

New postby veritas » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:14 pm

Dan is this the finished or un finished product?
I know vwery little of photo shop.
Kevin West
Skype Account: veritas323

New postby Glyn Meredith » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:32 am

Photoshop is widely used by professionals for altering/finishing digital images. I don't advise a newbie to mess around with it unless you intend learning how to use it properly. Some elementary learning will bring most people up to speed for such basic things as changing the image size and altering contrast/brightness but some other tools will leave a newbie in a confused tangle.

It is common practice to set a digital image for on-screen viewing to 72 dpi (dots per inch)- any higher than that will not increase the quality but will increase the file size, which can make uploading/downloading much slower, especially for those members who do not have a broadband connection.

If anyone wants to print out a pic that they see on a message board, they should ask the picture owner for a higher resolution copy - at least 200 dpi.

If any member wants to upload pics here and is not sure how to change the image size, please e-mail your pics to me and I will re-size them. It doesn't take long and it's no bother at all.

Dan's pic is 603 x 749 pixels and is at 96 dpi. The file size is 87.7KB. The picture shown on this post has similar quality, the same dimensions and has been changed to 72 dpi. The file size is 85.6 KB. They are both JPEG format, which has the advantage that a pic can be saved to a smaller file size without sacrificing much in detail.

When you first open a post, the pics are shown in the smaller thumbnail format. Two separate clicks on them will bring them up to the correct size for normal viewing. Backtracking on your browser should bring you back to the post with the thumbnail.

Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager
Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby Stephan » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:49 am

For anyone interested in messing about with pictures here is a simple tip that may save you some grief.
Never mess about with the original file.
I always save the picture first with the same name but perhaps an "a" after it.
Thus we get an original file of say Ham945.jpg and my altered one will be Ham945a.jpg.
If you want to experiment you might end up with b,c,d,e versions as well and you can compare them but you can always go back
to the original and start the process over again if the need arises.
Once you alter the original it is not always possible to go back.
Learning all the time.
Stephan Gaal

Proud Member of Global Horology and Chapter 149
Skype Account: stephan.gaal

Return to Horological Photography