New member checking in....

New registered users and members. please look here first and post to the "New member checking in..." topic to introduce yourselves. Also look here for news, public announcements, Message Board Guidance and Rules.
Forum rules
If you want to start a new topic or post a public announcement here, please ask the Webmaster or Site Admin first. Please post ONE ITEM PER TOPIC.

New members please add your 'New Member' posts to the topic "New member checking in...."

Announcements that are out of date will probably be deleted.

New member checking in....

New postby Camo » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:55 pm

[Ed: Any new GH users or members, please feel free to check in here]

I didn't really see a place for introductions, so if this is misplaced, I feel sure that a mod will move it.
I want to thank Glyn for allowing me to become a member here. I googled and trolled several sites before settling in here. You seem to have an extremely friendly and knowledgeable group of folks here.
I'm not much of a poster, more of a registered lurker. I'm a member of several forums, and I'm the same way on most of them. I prefer to read and learn, instead of typing my ignorance.
I'm not a horologist, nor do I know beans about the inner workings of time pieces. I do, however, collect wrist watches, some of which date back to my childhood. None in my collection could be considered collectible or valuable. Most of my watches have sentimental value to them, something which I cannot put a price tag on.
I had a specific reason for seeking out this website, which I will go into within the appropriate subforum.
Camo
Last edited by Glyn Meredith on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add invitation to all new GH users and members
Roger K. Thompson
'Tis better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...
Camo

Re: New member checking in....

New postby veritas » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:07 pm

Hi Camo, good to have you here .Many people collect and it,s good to meet new people.
I look forward to your postings. :D
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

New postby Glyn Meredith » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:26 am

Welcome to GH, Roger. It's good to see you posting.
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby Marty101 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:23 am

We have a Rog-so I hope you don't mind me callin' you Camo? Welcome!
Please don't be afraid to post "ignorant" questions-I do it all the time, and the guys set me straight. This is a great place to show off pic's of those watches; no watch is "common" or uninteresting around here.
I'm into pocket watches myself; I'm a firm believer that every man should own at least one. Maybe two. ;)
See you around.
Marty
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

NAWCC #: 0168154

New postby Camo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:11 pm

Hi Marty and thanks for the warm welcome!
You can call me Camo, or you can call me Duck; I've been called worse and answered to most.Camojoe was my handle during my online gaming days; Duck is a nick I've had since childhood. I raised ducks as a kid, and started collecting Donald Duck toys around the age of five.
I've been following your thread concerning hand bluing, with great interest. Being a metal worker myself, I can appreciate your experiences with the bluing. I don't know beans about how a watch works, or how to repair one. I do get a kick out of the "mechanicalness" of the mechanisms.
I'm looking forward to more of your posts with the hand bluing.
See ya' around the next curve.....
Camo
Roger K. Thompson
'Tis better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...
Camo

New postby veritas » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:45 pm

Nice another metal worker, i work in a machine shop.
Marty here is a master i feel with his re bluing.
Kevin West
veritas

New postby Marty101 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:51 am

Camo,
If you want to hear the deep, dark, secrets and unknown techniques of bluing I'm your guy. Please ask anything. I've posted 95% of all I know, and what's left is for those willing to cut off an ear (or something) to learn this art/skill. I'm fairly sure I'm one of the last determined (or crazy :? 8-) :lol: )enough to pursue this. I'm really glad I did; but it was a lonely walk sometimes. And most of the time I was lost... :lol:
What kept me goin' sometimes was a kind word- like Kevin's below. It would be enough for me to try again...a few more times.
Now at last I can offer my services with confidence. There's nothing like blue,shiny hands on your pocket watch.
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

New postby Glyn Meredith » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:38 am

Hi, folks ... especially any users or members who are new to GH.

New registered users and members are very welcome here. We will leave this topic in this Billboard forum and invite any newcomers to post their own checking-in messages here too. We would like to hear from you when you join us - especially if you can tell us a little about yourself and your particular interest in horology.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

New postby Hector_FL » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:56 pm

Hello ,people, I'm Hector from Miami, Fl. A few month a go I started my new hobby of how to repair, service and maybe to restore a few time pieces, I'm 34 yr old, From Dominican Rep. So, please pardon my English grammar, is not too good some times.

I Join this website, to source for parts and to post some of my projects to see if i can get any advise or idea that will help me to finish them.

Hope that i can make some friends

Best Regards To Ya'll,

Hector M
Hector Marquez
Hector_FL

New postby Glyn Meredith » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:27 am

You are welcome, Hector. Don't worry about the grammar ... some of the regulars here don't know the diference between too and to, your and you're, there and their, etc. but we still know what they mean and can focus on being friendly and helpful. If you post your questions and photos, you will find a lot of support here.

Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

New postby Stephan » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:51 am

Welcome Camo and Hector.

Never be afraid to ask your questions no matter how silly you think them. You may find the same question is on the tip of others fingers as well.
I would not be overly concerned with grammer or spelling either. Tis the watches we are concerned with.
It hasn't stopped me and for sure I will never win a game of scrabble.

Finally note well there is often not 1 correct answer. There may be a number of ways to approach something depending on your skill set and background.

Above all have fun and remember - we do like pictures.
Learning all the time.
Stephan Gaal

Proud Member of Global Horology and Chapter 149
Stephan

Skype Account: stephan.gaal

New postby veritas » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:24 pm

Hello Hector, good to have you here.Looking forward to your questions and other postings.
Kevin West
veritas

New postby Marty101 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:25 am

Ok Hector! I'm lookin' forward to your questions and your grammer. Hey,pal-to me you sound like one of my neighbors-that's how we talk in N.Y.!! :lol:
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

New postby derbymike » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:56 pm

Hello everyone,
My name is Michael Higdon, I live on a mountaintop in southern Colorado with my wife and our little 7 year old girl. I am an electrical contractor.
We live at 7200 ft. on 35 acres. Our property is filled with deer, turkeys, bears, mountain lions,elk, and I don't know what else.
I collect mechanical wrist watches.
I grew up in New Jersey in a New York City suburb.My childhood friend lived next door in a house built during the 1600s and his parents were antique dealers, auctioneers, and collectors. So I have been exposed to collecting all my life. My problem has been that I've never found a "home "in collecting.
I get bored with whatever is my fancy and go to something else.
When my wife saw the "welcome to the NAWCC " literature on the kitchen table she freaked out and started yelling " YOU JOINED ANOTHER CLUB ? !!! ",
I put up my hands and stammered " the other ones expired, this is new ", but she was really mad. I guess my mother warned her about it, but she still got mad.
Before watches it was coins. At one point I reallized that I had 1000s of dollars worth of gold coins in a glass front corner hutch. I had added glass shelves and lights and had all these coins laid out.Then got worried they would be stolen[from a house in the woods ?], so they went to a safe deposit box.
Now I had no coins to play with--they are at the bank. So--I bring them back home. I told my wife that I might as well throw them in the garbage if I can't enjoy them.
Needless to say I finally got tired of them. They are sold--gone.
Now we have watches !!
I collect them a little like "Alans Watches " but mine are all from 1920s to 1960s. I am careful not to specialize, and I get dials re-finished,change corroded hands, crystals, stems and crowns. I sell watch straps on E Bay and have a lot of fancy straps to play with.
As long as I do not specialize, and keep learning and working on the watches I feel that I have at long last found that special place that has eluded me.
The watches give me a feeling ofcontentment and I feel a true interest that was missing in the past.
I feel like I have finally come home.
Thanks everybody,
Mike
derbymike

NAWCC #: 0173629

New postby Glyn Meredith » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:09 pm

That's a great introduction, Mike. I see you are not so young but have a youngster to bring up. Me too. Your 35 acres sounds enviable. I bet it's a fantastic environment for your daughter to grow up in.

You are very welcome at GH, and I wish you good luck with the horological hobby. I hope your interest lasts. For my money, gold coins have their beauty but there are no insides to look at and they don't tick.

We always offer a warm welcome to new members to our friendly community here. I hope you enjoy meeting with us.

Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Next

Return to GH Billboard