New member checking in....

New registered users and members. please look here first and post to the "New member checking in..." topic to introduce yourselves. Also look here for news, public announcements, Message Board Guidance and Rules.
Forum rules
If you want to start a new topic or post a public announcement here, please ask the Webmaster or Site Admin first. Please post ONE ITEM PER TOPIC.

New members please add your 'New Member' posts to the topic "New member checking in...."

Announcements that are out of date will probably be deleted.

Re: New member checking in....

New postby brownsrplm » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:17 pm

Brian,
Welcome to GH! You will find more than your fill here and a whole lot of knowledge amongst the members. If you get real interested in Horology and want to branch out a bit, there are those of us here who started out on clocks and can help you with them as well. Again welcome aboard...
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

New postby Marty101 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:54 pm

Brian welcome!
Like my friend Ray said,you'll find answers here and more. If you are hooked like you say,then you'll certainly have plenty of questions. Lots of data here,and pics,and good men ready to help. Hope to catch you there soon-
Marty
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

NAWCC #: 0168154

New postby cadiazsp » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:19 am

Hello everyone. Greetings from São Paulo, Brazil by way of New Jersey, USA. Thanks to Glyn for letting me join the forums and talk about one of my favorite things to collect - timepieces. I'll be posting about old wristwatches and pocket watches I've found from my grandfather's collection, as well as some of my favorites I've purchased over the years. I'm familiar with movements and terminology, but am a noob as far as quality timepieces are concerned. I look forward to learning from you fine folks. :)
Carlos A. Diaz
cadiazsp

New postby veritas » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:30 pm

Welcome to the group Carlos.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

New postby Karlosk4 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:23 pm

Hi all
I have been into horology for some years but have been collecting and repairing pocket watches for just over a year.
I seem to be drawn to American pocket watches in particular.
Hopefully, being registered to this forum will help me advance.
Is the book Complete Price Guide To Watches a worthwhile book to have?
What are the best first books for a budding collector to buy?
Any help would be appreciated
Karl
Karl Krause
Karlosk4

New postby brownsrplm » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:33 pm

Karl,
Welcome to GH! Yes, the complete price guide is a good item to purchase and there are many other sources out there (book wise) that are great helps which I'm sure other members on here will share that info with you. It depends on how far into this field you are willing to delve and your particular interests. You are however, in the right place for information as there are many knowledgeable and talented individuals here who are willing to share information with you...
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby KeithR » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:23 pm

Welcome Karl, I'm a bit new myself. I have an 03 copy and a 2015 copy of the "Fat Book", (Complete Price Guide to Watches).
I also keep plate layouts for most of the American watches 1858 to 1880. I'm probably 20% English Verges, levers, cylinders and
80% American. The guys here have been great. I'm kinda glued to Marty, we do business and have belonged at one time
to other groups. I like it here and the green board.

^Ray & I seem to have the same collecting habits, (that's a good thing).

Best of luck here. Keith
Bryan Keith Richmond
KeithR

NAWCC #: 163409

New postby Karlosk4 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:19 pm

Hi Keith, thanks for the advice and welcome. I've got 13 PWs. 12 american and 1 swiss. Mostly 18s. 1873-1912.
Is Marty the guy who blues the hands? If so, I've already bought two sets off him.
Karl
Karl Krause
Karlosk4

New postby brownsrplm » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:09 pm

Yes Karl,
Marty is the go-to guy for watch hands and I cannot say enough good things about him from a personal standpoint!!
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby Marty101 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:24 pm

Hey Karl,glad you made it here!
Global is the place to be whether asking questions, learning repairs,showing off a new pocket watch-whatever you got. :)
I look forward to seeing you around,my friend.
Marty
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

NAWCC #: 0168154

New postby KeithR » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:42 am

Karl, it's like Ray said, old Mart is the same guy. Here's a funny one, because Marty is in my friends file
on gmail, I had bought a watch and hit the wrong key with my finger. I was instructing another good friend,
(my watch maker) when I would send a watch. Bottom line is we are all friends and fellow collectors, as
we also from time to time, do business with Marty or Rob, (we also collect with them).

Glad you've joined us, now if you could help me get 60 more horse power out of my 99 Cummins diesel, you
could be a hero too. Keith

PS, I told Marty I wanted to settle down a bit, here is the site to do it. On the green board I'm Keith R...
I think on GH I'm KeithR.
Bryan Keith Richmond
KeithR

NAWCC #: 163409

New postby brownsrplm » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:39 pm

Keith,
I could get you more than 60hp out of your Cummins as that was my original profession. As you may know, it will cost you though!!! I also am retired from the profession due to disability... :?
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New member checking in....

New postby jegupton » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:16 pm

Hello Everyone,

I hope this is the correct spot to post New Member intros! My name is Jeremy and I am from Raleigh, NC. I only have a few time pieces but have a great interest in learning more about care, maintenance, and history of the items I have and more. My most recent acquisition is an open well grandfather clock with a Kienzle 8 day movement. The original gong has been fiddled with at some point so I am on the hunt for a replacement/make do. I look forward to learning and getting to know you all.

Thank you,

Jeremy
Jeremy E. Gupton
jegupton

New postby cannon pinion » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:31 pm

Welcome, Jeremy,
you've come to the right place! You'll get lots of help here, all kinds of advice, and occasional good natured ribbing. Just please don't ask any stupid questions - that's my department.
There are some extremely knowledgeable and skilled people in GH, as well as newcomers just getting into it, and mid level chancers like myself. It doesnt matter which category you put yourself in, you'll get the same respect and help as anyone else.
Look forward to seeing your projects.
best,
Andy
Andrew Yale
cannon pinion

New postby brownsrplm » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:28 am

Welcome Jeremy,
I too started out with clocks and still do house calls for grandfather clocks from time to time. I have a brother in Ashland, NC and get up that way once in a while. We have fun here on GH and like Andy says, you will find a lot of knowledgeable folks on here to help you with whatever you need.
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

PreviousNext

Return to GH Billboard