Junk movements needed for disadvantaged kids

New registered users and members. please look here first and post to the "New member checking in..." topic to introduce yourselves. Also look here for news, public announcements, Message Board Guidance and Rules.
Forum rules
If you want to start a new topic or post a public announcement here, please ask the Webmaster or Site Admin first. Please post ONE ITEM PER TOPIC.

New members please add your 'New Member' posts to the topic "New member checking in...."

Announcements that are out of date will probably be deleted.

Junk movements needed for disadvantaged kids

New postby cannon pinion » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:24 pm

Hey, guys - I have gone back to work as a counselor in a locked down school for kids who have been abused and neglected and have a variety of difficult behaviors. I have done this in the past and found that many of these kid who "can't learn" thrive when given hands on work to do. For some, carpentry, auto mechanics and customizing bicycles have been the key to getting better.
I want to try out simple disassembly- reassembly projects on junk watch movements and need a supply. I would prefer 12 and 16s bridge plate movements because the full plates will be too frustrating. Swiss finger bridge movements OK too, if not too small. I have a limited number of junk movements I can kick in, but need about 20 more to get going.
If you have some junk you don't need, please send it on. Partial movements are OK. GH members tend to be remarkably generous with each other - here's a chance to benefit some folks outside our circle.
you can mail them to:
Andy Yale
The Stetson School
455 South Street
Barre, MA 01005
Andrew Yale
cannon pinion

Re: Junk movements needed for disadvantaged kids

New postby Glyn Meredith » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:01 am

Happy to support this, Andrew. One thing ... I guess you will seldom get a "junk" movement back to proper working condition so what do the students actually do with the watches? I guess that dismantling would have some creative effect, but then what?
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby Marty101 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:50 am

Good luck Andy. We need more men like you. Lord knows there aren't many in Niagara Falls.
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

NAWCC #: 0168154

New postby cannon pinion » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:00 pm

Glynn - its a valid question. The point of working on watches is to teach patience, focus, and sequential proceedure. Most of these kids have highly compromised attentions and cannot focus for long. But as a group, they are fascinated by machinery.I know from past experience they don't care if something works, they just love to take things to pieces.
The ones who make it through the first phase and develop good work habits will go on to work on restoreable movements. I will get the school to purchase those, once I have demonstrated that the program is effective.
By the way, the discipline they develop working with their hands spills over into other areas. They begin to behave better.
Thanks,
Andy
Andrew Yale
cannon pinion

New postby Marty101 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:06 am

Yo Teach,you still lookin'?
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

New postby cannon pinion » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:28 am

Nope. That was a very short lived job. Never got to the watches. I quit quick because I didnt like the way they treated the kids and didnt see any way I was going to change it.
Thanks for asking, tho.
Andrew Yale
cannon pinion

New postby Marty101 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:19 pm

Andy that's a damn shame. If any new opportunities or ideas turn up,I'll be here.
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

New postby Glyn Meredith » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:10 pm

In the light of the latest information, this topic is now due for deletion. If you have any further posts, please make them very soon. I'll give it a day or two before pressing the delete button.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

New postby Martin Burnett » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:20 pm

Andrew,

Send me an email! I have a lot of junk movements and if you are still teaching I may be able to help you out. Email me at Suppo32@homesc.com

Thanks
Martin
Martin Burnett

NAWCC #: 166138

New postby Glyn Meredith » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:34 am

Martin Burnett wrote:Andrew,

Send me an email! I have a lot of junk movements and if you are still teaching I may be able to help you out. Email me at Suppo32@homesc.com

Thanks
Martin

This topic went off my radar and was not deleted a long time ago.I'll delete it soon, unless anyone objects.

Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

New postby Glyn Meredith » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:33 am

Now locked.

Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Return to GH Billboard