Photo General Douglas MacArthur

Horological printed matter, such as cards, catalogs, advertisements, periodicals and other items that were not intended to be permanent.

Moderator: 4thdimension

Photo General Douglas MacArthur

New postby fjmenez » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:47 am

During July 1951 General Douglas MacArthur visited the city of Waltham Mass. He was presented with a Waltham Pocket Watch by the Mayor of the city in appreciation for his service to the country. The original photo is on display at the CRMI.

100_0917.jpg
Francis J. Menez
fjmenez

NAWCC #: 015520

Re: Photo General Douglas MacArthur

New postby Glyn Meredith » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:55 am

Nice photo and nice gift, Frank.

I wonder what model/grade it was.
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby Glyn Meredith » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:14 am

There is a Douglas MacArthur Elementary School in Lincoln Street, Waltham, MA. I wonder if there is any connection between the photo and the name of the school. Could it be that he visited Waltham for the dedication of the school and the photo was taken on the same day? ... just speculating. Worth a little bit of research from someone on the spot who has the time and inclination.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

New postby fjmenez » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:04 pm

I have the time, inclination and curiosoty to find out more abou the MacArthur photo. I do know that he made a tour of communities surronding the Boston area and addressed the people of Waltham on 26 July 1951. There are other schools, streets etc in the area that are named after the General. I will find out what the connection is between MacArthur and the elementary school. I will also try to find out details on the Waltham Pocket watch the General received from the Mayor.
Francis J. Menez
fjmenez

New postby Glyn Meredith » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:22 pm

I wasn't baiting you, Frank, but if you find out anything, it might add a little history to the photo ... :D

Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

New postby fjmenez » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:39 pm

I talked to the Principal (Head Master) of the Douglas MacArthur Elementary School, and he stated to the best of his knowledge the school was named after the General to honour his service to the country. The only record that might exist as to the type of Waltham Pocket watch that was presented to the General might be recorded in one of the museums dedicated to his memory. I know that Harvard University has documents pertaining to the Waltham Watch Factory, and they may have info on this matter. My horological friends tell me it is extremely difficult to obtain any info about these records from Harvard. I will keep looking. Frank
Francis J. Menez
fjmenez

New postby Glyn Meredith » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:04 pm

Thanks for following up on this, Frank. It's disappointing to hear that Harvard is less than cooperative in giving access to Waltham documents.

Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

New postby John Johnson » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:14 pm

From the date 1951. The style of the box, and the shape, and size of the watch in it I would guess it to be a 10/12 size gentleman's watch. During this time period Waltham was really pushing it's Colonial Series watches. I would guess it one of the 21 jewel Swiss made Colonial Series in 10 size solid 14k gold case. I have owned several of the Colonial Series watches in original box and that all looked very similar to this one.
John Johnson
John Johnson

Skype Account: John E Johnson

Return to Ephemera - ads, cards, catalogs, periodicals