The Ephemera zone

Horological printed matter, such as cards, catalogs, advertisements, periodicals and other items that were not intended to be permanent.

Moderator: 4thdimension

The Ephemera zone

New postby 4thdimension » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:04 am

Greetings!
Congratulations,blessings and gratitude for this new message board. A few days ago I suggested the possibility of a new category dedicated to horological ephemera. It seems like I blinked and there it was!
I have offered to host here and would be pleased and honored to do so. I am not sure what duties I might have other than looking in and participating which is something I hope to do anyway.

Things that are ephemeral are, essentially, here today and gone tomorrow. The collector definition of horological ephemera encompasses a huge range of things related to watches and clocks which were created not to be saved. That definition can be worked on.

Greg has posted some watch papers and a trade card which represent two sorts of classic ephemera(Very nice papers Greg!). I think there are more categories of ephemera than there are watch and clock factories and that the the total number of watches and clocks ever made is surpassed by the number of items made to promote them. Most of the latter got thown away though.

Here is a pic of some Hamilton matchbooks. Question: if they're ephemera, why do I have them? Maybe we can figure that out here!
-Cort Moore
NAWCC#94512
Attachments
DSCN1362.JPG
DSCN1362.JPG (33.64 KiB) Viewed 9003 times
4thdimension

NAWCC #: 094512

Re: The Ephemera zone

New postby Sheila » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:37 pm

This is Great! I don't know if mine are the correct answer to Ephemera, but I do have some "different" examples of what I call Ephemera.

This one is a? "Salesman" card with information about an Elgin watch, with the serial number, and the design of the case it's in.
Attachments
Elgin432075-3.jpg
Elgin432075-3.jpg (22.86 KiB) Viewed 8986 times
Sheila Gilbert
Sheila

NAWCC #: Not an NAWCC member

New postby Sheila » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:42 pm

The information makes it a size 17s, made in 1876, and marked or unmarked Leader. it's a model 1, keywind model, grade 59.

I sure would love to find it!!!!!
Sheila Gilbert
Sheila

New postby 4thdimension » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:33 am

Sheila,
It is nice to"see" you here! Coincidentally, while trying to look up an Elgin in the fat book today, my eye wandered to the 17s watches because I have a couple of "Avery" mv'ts. I noticed that the "Leader" model was an export model, to G.B. I think.

I don't know if I'll remember to get the trash out for collection tonight but this I remember :) .

Is your item printed,drawn or..? It looks like ephemera to me!
-Cort Moore
NAWCC#94512
Cort Moore
4thdimension

New postby Sheila » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:47 am

Hi Cort,
Good to see you too!

I really don't remember, and I don't have the card handy right now, I'm organizing right now. I think it is drawn by hand, but am not sure if I remember that correctly. When I find it, I will show the other side too.

I'm adding a photo of a ribbon watch chain, that is still on the card it came with. Not a real good example, but I don't think you see many like these anymore.
Attachments
GF Ribbon PW Chain.jpg
GF Ribbon PW Chain.jpg (26.4 KiB) Viewed 8917 times
GF Ribbon PW Chain2.jpg
GF Ribbon PW Chain2.jpg (17.26 KiB) Viewed 8914 times
Sheila Gilbert
Sheila

New postby Greg Frauenhoff » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:04 pm

Sheila and Cort,

Great stuff this ephemera, eh? I've been interested in it for a long time (as I know Cort has as well) and even wrote a short article on it for the Bulletin years ago.

Some neat pieces that came to me via eBay (which has been a terrific boom to us ephemera collectors...in the "old days" interesting ephemera was lots harder to find in any quantity) are the memo books of John C. Perry. Perry was arguably the greatest "drummer" of the American watch industry. He worked for New York, Hampden, Aurora and eventually Hamilton.

Here are some scans from his 1883 memo book:

[img]members.aol.com/frauenm/Scan0020a.jpg[/img]

[img]members.aol.com/frauenm/Scan0020b.jpg[/img]

The second page notes that the mvts were to be specially engraved for the dealer, i. e. this was an order for some private label watches.
Greg Frauenhoff

NAWCC #: 097608

New postby Greg Frauenhoff » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:21 pm

Hmmm...goofed again. Maybe this will work.

Greg Frauenhoff

New postby Greg Frauenhoff » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:23 pm

A now the second scan:

Greg Frauenhoff

New postby 4thdimension » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:59 am

Greg,
Nice document and a good looking autograph to boot!

Here is a pic of a Warranty certificate to Patek Phillipe #190,000 which is described as a "17 lines diameter, stem winder, lever escapement compensated balance eighteen jewels, gold dial, open face gold case & cap, polished back, chased & blue enamel bezels".

Is there a registry where I might look to find the current owner of #190,000?
-Cort Moore
NAWCC#94512
Attachments
DSCN1392.JPG
DSCN1392.JPG (66.71 KiB) Viewed 8787 times
Cort Moore
4thdimension

New postby Fortunat Mueller-Maerki » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:36 pm

Patek Philip does have a registry, but it does not reveal current ownership

Theeir "heritage" department will (for a fee) provide information on any given serial number, when it was made, its description and when it was sold
Fortunat Mueller-Maerki
Sussex NJ USA

Board Memb. NAWCC Inc.
Chair NAWCC Library Com.
Memb.NAWCC Museum Com.
VP USA Section Antiquarian Horological Soc.
Publisher, Bibliographia Horologiae Mundi
AWCI,BHI,AHS,DGC,AFAHA,Chronometrophilia

I am Horology
Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Skype Account: Fortunat.Mueller.Maerki
NAWCC #: 078479

New postby 4thdimension » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:44 am

Fortunat,
You are right , of course, and I don't expect I'll spend money to locate the owner. But should the owner ever google Patek serial number 190000 ( 190,000 ), they may end up here and find me! The internet is a tool after all eh?
-Cort Moore
NAWCC#94512
Cort Moore
4thdimension

New postby 4thdimension » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:34 am

Money isn't ephemeral too, is it? Well, we hope not. Ephemera being defined as stuff that was not supposed to be saved should preclude currency! But, in hindsight, some currency that became obsolete as quickly as this note did might deserve consideration. In pre WWII Germany there were a great profusion of monetary notes issued which changed frequently due to inflation. This example is, I believe, from the 1930's and shows the city of Freiburg and an eagle clutching a pocket watch. The logo is probably hard to see but it is a crown on anchor with the initials GB, the mark of the Gustav Becker Clock co..

Getting the company logo on the local currency should have earned that company's ad dept. a bonus I think.
-Cort Moore
NAWCC#94512
Cort Moore
4thdimension

New postby 4thdimension » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:10 am

Things are dead as a bone here lately. I believe that this is in part due to the last particles of Chap. 185 sand still particulating into the ether. It would follow then, that when we become a new chapter and the "club" is formally amputated, we can expect (hope?) for NAWCC promotion of the Global Horology site.

I invite you all to post some gems here from your collections. I know many of you have some really cool ephemera and we might agree that is fun to look at. It inspires research too. We collectors who gather this stuff perform an important role in archiving these odd bit of arcane history. If we post this stuff now we might live long enough to actually enjoy the fruit of our contributions.
-Cort Moore
-NAWCC#94512
Cort Moore
4thdimension

New postby JerryT » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:43 am

How many of you have seen those large, maybe 4 oz, 18-size silver swing-ring cases with a gold-colored reflector? They are usually by Crescent or A.W.Co. If you look inside the bezel you will see that the reflector is a separate ring, threaded in from behind. This is a wonderful method of holding those thick flat beveled crystals in without chipping them. But how do you remove and install the reflector? With a nice spanner wrench provided by Waltham.

case wrench.jpg

I know that you can't read the label, so here is what it says:

This wrench is to accompany the Waltham Patent Dust Proof, glass bezel, now being introduced on Waltham Screw Bezel Cases. It holds the glasses firmly and closely, absolutely excluding all dust and moisture, without the use of cement. It will permit the use of several different sizes of glass. It is the only perfect Dust Proof Glass Bezel ever made. It will be recognized by its Gold Reflector.
Jerry Treiman
NAWCC member since 1971
Charter member of Pocket Horology Chapter 174
JerryT

NAWCC #: 024657

New postby Ralph » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:15 pm

Here's an image I saved from one of the boards...
Attachments
RL019LancTC.jpg
RL019LancTC.jpg (58.65 KiB) Viewed 8497 times
Ralph A. Ferone
Ralph

NAWCC #: 045646

Next

Return to Ephemera - ads, cards, catalogs, periodicals