Casio Digital watches

This is where wristwatches are discussed

Moderator: Cary Hurt

Forum rules
Please post ONE ITEM PER TOPIC and post ATTACHED PICS only, NOT IMAGE LINKS.

Casio Digital watches

New postby brownsrplm » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:19 pm

I felt a bit nostalgic yesterday and pulled out my few remaining digital watches from storage and put in fresh batteries. I haven't used any of these since the late 90's and had removed the batteries and put them away. I noticed on the bay that they are starting to bring some serious coin, which had I known that back when; I would have kept the 60 some odd Casio's, Timex, Seiko's and Citizen's that I have owned.

The one's I kept were some of my earliest purchases and were kept in near new condition. I bought the Casio melody alarm at the PX in Kaiserslautern, GE back in 1979! Imagine the technology back then for this particular watch. It plays twelve songs, plays Westminster chimes at noon each day, plays jingle bells at Christmas, Happy Birthday on whomever has a birthday you need to remember, plays the wedding march on your anniversary (or another tune if you just want to remember something special). You can watch the notes dance around while it plays the tune also.

The other two watches I bought in 1980 and was impressed with how thin they had made them, so I bought both models to change it up now and then. Both of them have the original bands on them and are near perfect. This technology was quite rare back then as well and these examples are hard to find now in any shape.

DSC00198.JPG
1979 Casio Melody Alarm

DSC00193.JPG
1980 Casio Ultra Thin G

DSC00192.JPG

DSC00194.JPG
1980 Casio Ultra Thin S

DSC00195.JPG

DSC00196.JPG
side profile Ultra Thin
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

Re: Casio Digital watches

New postby Neilywatch » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:52 pm

I would sell them soon. The modules were not made to last that long.....!
Neil Wohl
Neilywatch

NAWCC #: 0122281

New postby Marty101 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:02 pm

That is amazing-here I go again getting sucked into something I don't collect! I envy you guys that have such a wide spread collection but just don't know how you can do it!
OK-getting past my amazement at what these skinny wristies can do;I'd like to know what Neil is talking about.
Neil,help me understand. Why won't a new battery keep these going forever? I'm getting a mental image of these imploding after 20 years,leaving a little curl of smoke. :?
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

NAWCC #: 0168154

New postby brownsrplm » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:27 pm

Marty,
I can tell you that as they developed these watches, they built in obsolescence so they could sell more. These early ones though weren't made like that and go on for a long time, much like any other watch. As an example; I used these regularly for nearly 20 years with no problems before I mothballed them. I pulled them back out just this past week, installed new batteries and they are every bit as good as the day I bought them.

Some don't think much of digital watches, but I've owned some very high end one's that are highly sought after to this day. A timepiece is a timepiece no matter what form it takes and Casio in particular has been highly successful in making theirs. I do own a couple of combination digital/analog watches from Citizen such as a Navihawk and a Skyhawk (eco-drive), but these are specialty watches for pilots. I also own a set of 4-register Seiko Flightmaster watches and those are very hard to get these days also. Seiko hasn't made a four register watch since the late 80's.
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby Neilywatch » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:51 pm

I will explain as best I can: On the early LED digitals, they used tiny tiny wires to connect the displays to the circuit. These wires would break from impact or temperature changes/expansion. On the LCD displays they used zebras (yes, that is what they are called - they have alternating black and white lines for electrifying the displays, hence they are called zebras.) These are made from a foamlike material, that would dry and rot over time. and of course the circuits themselves used actual solder to connect the prongs, these would crack over time and reduce or short connectivity. You get the idea?

Like Ray said the earlier ones were better made, but they would fail after a period. They are NOT serviceable. So even the betters ones, once they failed, are good as garbage. With all due respect to Ray, they are collected by people who don't really know their lifespan. That's why I said what I said, let it be someone else's problem.
Neil Wohl
Neilywatch

NAWCC #: 0122281

New postby Marty101 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:15 pm

Thanks Neil-that really explained what's going on. Certainly two of the most hated words in this hobby are "planned obsolescence".
When I see electronic parts/movements, I see stuff I expect to last...at least as long as a pocket watch. :(
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

NAWCC #: 0168154

New postby brownsrplm » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:50 am

Neil,
Actually I do know their lifespan and how to prolong them. That is why I still own the ones I do. It all comes down to how you take care of things. You can't just go out and beat the crap out of a watch of any kind and expect it to hold up. This applies to pocket watches, or any watch for that matter. Yes, once a digital goes down it is finished, however with proper care the ones I own now will still be usable long after I'm gone.
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

Return to Wristwatches