Rolex Perpetual Datejust authenticity

This is where wristwatches are discussed

Moderator: Cary Hurt

Forum rules
Please post ONE ITEM PER TOPIC and post ATTACHED PICS only, NOT IMAGE LINKS.

Rolex Perpetual Datejust authenticity

New postby knutson11 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:10 pm

Hello:
My grandfather was a watchmaker for yrs & has sinces passes and I inherited his desk, tools, etc. In a drawer is a Rolex Perpetual Datejust. I am thinking of selling it but I just don't know for sure if it is real. Looking at similar watches online, it looks real but I know how good fakes can be. I want to take the back off but now sure if its a screw back or I pop it off? Also, I do not see any serial # around the bezel anywhere and I believe there should be one between the lugs somehwhere.

It comes with a Rolex band that is also in question. The band is stamped "Rolex, Geneve Swiss Made 18K, 8385". The band alone weighs .7 grams and feels quite heavy. Is gold in color and has the logo raised where it snaps together.

Are these watches known for fakes or is there a tell tale sign they are fake?

Thank you
Craig Knutson
knutson11

Re: Rolex Perpetual Datejust authenticity

New postby MartyW » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:19 pm

knutson11 wrote:Hello:
My grandfather was a watchmaker for yrs & has sinces passes and I inherited his desk, tools, etc. In a drawer is a Rolex Perpetual Datejust. I am thinking of selling it but I just don't know for sure if it is real. Looking at similar watches online, it looks real but I know how good fakes can be. I want to take the back off but now sure if its a screw back or I pop it off? Also, I do not see any serial # around the bezel anywhere and I believe there should be one between the lugs somehwhere.

It comes with a Rolex band that is also in question. The band is stamped "Rolex, Geneve Swiss Made 18K, 8385". The band alone weighs .7 grams and feels quite heavy. Is gold in color and has the logo raised where it snaps together.

Thank you

Craig:

I cannot tell you too much about this but one thing is that the back is a screw off and you need special wrenches to do the job.

Also, between the lugs, I forget on which side, there should be a serial number engraved. If you can get that there are many Rolex websites that can give you the information about your watch, if indeed it is authentic.

Best of luck with it,
Marty
Marty Wagner
Klaatu Barada Nikto
MartyW

New postby Glyn Meredith » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:30 pm

If you could post some detailed photos, it would help, Craig. There are many times more Rolex fakes than the real thing. Often, it's impossible to tell a fake from a real Rolex, if you can't get a close look.

Good luck.

BTW: .7 grams is extremely light. Perhaps you have the decimal point in the wrong place ... :?:
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby L48X55 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:49 pm

MartyW wrote:
knutson11 wrote:Hello:

Thank you

Craig:

I cannot tell you too much about this but one thing is that the back is a screw off and you need special wrenches to do the job.

Also, between the lugs, I forget on which side, there should be a serial number engraved. If you can get that there are many Rolex websites that can give you the information about your watch, if indeed it is authentic.

Best of luck with it,
Marty

To add to the great information Marty gave you I have seen the case where you need to remove the band before you can read the serial number that's between the lugs.
Daniel Wysner
L48X55

NAWCC #: 176862

New postby Glyn Meredith » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:59 pm

Some fake Rolex are also stamped with a serial number between the lugs ... :o
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

Return to Wristwatches