Orient Racer 27j

This is where wristwatches are discussed

Moderator: Cary Hurt

Forum rules
Please post ONE ITEM PER TOPIC and post ATTACHED PICS only, NOT IMAGE LINKS.

Orient Racer 27j

New postby perby » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:45 am

Hi all,
I was just going through a bunch of old watches that I hadn't looked at for awhile and pulled out an 1970's ??vintage Orient Racer 27 jewel day date watch.
Has anyone any idea as to how to set the day date on the watch ?

Any help appreciated,
Bill
Bill Manders
perby

Re: Orient Racer 27j

New postby brownsrplm » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:57 pm

Bill,
Does yours have a button above the crown? if so, pushing in on it advances the date. The ones I own, you pull out to the first detent and rotate forward or backwards for date and day (quick-set). One direction advances the date the other the day. Some of these are hard to distinguish where the stem should be pulled to and you will have to experiment with it. If yours doesn't have either of these features, you will have to advance by the day going a full 24hrs until you are near the current date. Then you can just back up a few hours until you see the date or day bump and then go forward. If you go backwards it should reset either the date or day only. This way you can sync to the correct calendar date...
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

New postby perby » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:43 pm

Ray,
Yes after playing and looking closer I found out just what you have said. The pin push above the stem fast sets the date, and by pulling the stem and rotating either way you change the day.
There is not a lot of information on these watches for some reason, mine will be from the early 70's I imagine because there is a xmas presentation from 1972.
Can you tell me anything about this particular watch,? was it a decent movement, it states made in Japan, ser # 42970. and seems to be running quite well, losing no time between last night and now. I have found that you can not wind the watch with the stem, so it is absolutely just an automatic, which I had never heard of before.
Thanks for the information, it's appreciated
Bill
Bill Manders
perby

New postby brownsrplm » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:25 am

Bill,
Here is what's out there on Orient watches:

The origin of Orient Watch Company dates back to 1901 when Shogoro Yoshida opened a wholesale shop called "Yoshida Watch Shop" in Ueno, Taito, Tokyo, Japan. Yoshida Watch Shop was successful, selling imported pocketwatches. In 1912, Yoshida expand his business and began producing gold wristwatch cases. In 1920, Toyo Tokei Manufacturing was established, originally producing table clocks and gauges. It was not until 1934 that Toyo Tokei Manufacturing started the production of wristwatches. in 1936, the Hino Factory was built in Hino, Tokyo, Japan. For several years, Toyo Tokei Manufacturing boomed at the Hino Factory. However, affected by the poor Japanese economy after World War II, the company shut down in 1949.[3]

After Toyo Tokei Manufacturing was shut down, Yoshida’s wristwatch manufacturing company was reborn in 1950, founded under the name Tama Keiki Company. Tama Keiki Co., Ltd. continued manufacturing watches at the Hino Factory. Just one year later, in 1951, Tama Keiki Co., Ltd. changed its name to Orient Watch Co., Ltd., and in the same year the first Orient Star went on sale. Orient Watch was able to expand their visibility overseas after a memorandum trade agreement with China in 1955. The Royal Orient subsequently went on sale in 1960. Other important watches in the company's history include the "Dynamic" in 1956, "Grand Prix 100" in 1964, "Fineness" (the world's thinnest automatic wristwatch with day and date calendar function for its time) in 1967, and the "Tenbeat" in 1970.[14]

In 2003, the Orient Technical Center (OTC) was established and the assembly of luxury watches began in Ugo, Ogachi, Akita, Japan.[11] In 2004, the high-precision Caliber 88700 movement went on sale via the Royal Orient watch line. In 2005, Orient Star Retro-Future collection was launched. In 2010, Orient Watch Co., Ltd. celebrated its 60th anniversary with a limited edition model.[14]
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby brownsrplm » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:30 am

Bill,
Basically any early Orient such as yours and one I currently own from 1959 are not imported to the US or Canada and would have been brought in by someone who purchased it overseas. There are new Orients out now that are on the same caliber as Seiko's and Citizen watches. Your watch is a very high caliber watch and should be very desirable to those who collect early Japanese watches...
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby Neilywatch » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:40 am

I remember servicing some of these when I first started out, a lot of them belonged to vietnam vets. As Ray noted they were not exported to the USA, so parts were impossible to get. I thought they were junk. So I simply stopped taking them in for repair.
Neil Wohl
Neilywatch

NAWCC #: 0122281

New postby perby » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:46 pm

Thanks to Neil and Ray for the comments and information on this watch.
Of course was to get it serviced but I see that might be a challenge now.
Bill
Bill Manders
perby

New postby Neilywatch » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:17 pm

Bill - IF, and this is a BIG IF, the watch does not need parts, then it can be serviced. But it may cost you more to have it done then what they may be worth.
Neil Wohl
Neilywatch

NAWCC #: 0122281

New postby brownsrplm » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:44 pm

Bill,
As I have been saying, these are highly sought after. Neil has his opinion of whether these are worth anything and he is allowed that opinion. It is not shared by everyone as is evident by these watches for sale on eBay. For the record: there were a lot of cheap early Orients made, just as there were cheap Seiko's and Citizen's made. I have even owned a few in the past that boasted a jewel count that was not there when they were opened up. I suggest you open the back, or have it looked at to see if it is genuine before doing anything else. If this one of yours is legit, I would recommend that you service it...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=or ... h&_sacat=0
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby Marty101 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:42 am

Bill,if you need a part made maybe you can find a sympathetic ear here. I know of few better places than GH where men help just because they can. :D If you have it checked out let us know,anything I can do I will.
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

NAWCC #: 0168154

New postby perby » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:17 am

Ray,
I have neither the ability nor know how to determine if this is the real deal, I strongly suspect it is, but here are some pictures of the movement, maybe you can tell me by them, if you do not mind. As you can tell the first thing needed is a crystal for the watch, that in itself might be a little difficult, as it is a strange one, being sort of raised, then in the middle flattened so as not to distort the day/date window.
Thanks in advance,
Bill

Excuse the rotten photography
Marty thank you for your very kind offer, I'll have to see what happens with the watch.

Orient Racer WW 001.jpg
Orient Racer WW 002.jpg
Orient Racer WW 003.jpg
Orient Racer WW 004.jpg
Orient Racer WW 005.jpg
Bill Manders
perby

New postby brownsrplm » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:03 am

Bill,
Looks like the real McCoy to me! I saw some original Orient crystals on eBay yesterday. If you know the size, you may just luck out on that issue...
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

Return to Wristwatches