What's In Your Pocket?

This is where we discuss pocket watches
Forum rules
Please post ONE ITEM PER TOPIC and post ATTACHED PICS only, NOT IMAGE LINKS.

Re: What's In Your Pocket?

New postby Marty101 » Tue May 13, 2014 9:41 am

SAM_1240.JPG
SAM_1239.JPG
Jerry I wouldn't criticize a 23 jewel Howard myself-if I had one haha! Those hands,are they plum? Just curious-can't help myself.
I'll show off my "Railroad Chronometer" and say I really don't know if I like the white gold case or the fact that it says "Railroad" on the movement best.
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

NAWCC #: 0168154

New postby brownsrplm » Tue May 13, 2014 12:39 pm

Jerry, Marty,
Nice watches both. I have always been a fan of Howard. To bad so many of them have been butchered and are no longer around to enjoy. I say if it runs, looks good and has an aesthetically correct movement, that is a nice compromise... ENJOY
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

New postby JerryT » Wed May 14, 2014 6:36 am

Nice one there, Marty. A long time ago I had a plain Series 11 but I have always admired the damascened version.
Jerry Treiman
NAWCC member since 1971
Charter member of Pocket Horology Chapter 174
JerryT

NAWCC #: 024657

New postby brownsrplm » Thu May 15, 2014 8:12 pm

I apologize in advance for picture quality. Have a huge problem with lighting today, bad weather and all. Anyhow, I'm toting one of my many 992's. This one has the nice Montgomery dial and Railroad model 14K white gold filled case.

DSC00527.JPG

DSC00529.JPG
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby Glyn Meredith » Sun May 18, 2014 1:10 pm

Ray, a few tweaks in MacBook Preview application can give some improved results ...

DSC00527.JPG

DSC00529.JPG
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby brownsrplm » Sun May 18, 2014 1:40 pm

Glyn,
Thanks for clearing them up. I probably could get better pictures of it now, but have moved on to another watch. Been carrying around that Sangamo I bought from Fred to get an idea of how close it keeps time. Still needs a re-case, which I've found, but still waiting for it to show up.
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby brownsrplm » Sun May 18, 2014 3:24 pm

Okay,
Since it's Sunday I've dragged out a favorite of mine. This is my Elgin 18s Veritas 23J with dual time zone hands and a Montgomery style dial. A real show piece!!

DSC00534.JPG

DSC00535.JPG

DSC00536.JPG

DSC00537.JPG
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby richiec » Sun May 18, 2014 8:47 pm

Ray, your library of watches never fails to amaze me, how many do you actually have, not including clocks?
Richard Cross
richiec

NAWCC #: 0168470

New postby brownsrplm » Sun May 18, 2014 9:40 pm

Somewhere around 250 now. That's not counting the one's on the back burner for parts or cleanup.
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby brownsrplm » Mon May 19, 2014 12:37 pm

Guess I'll have to keep this one going for a bit. Today I'm dressing down and pulled out this later model Vanguard 23J. It has the pressed in jewels which I'm not so keen on, but it is a good runner. You will notice it has parts missing and broke from the micro regulator, however I have what I need to correct that and intend to do so today. I also have a perfect winding wheel for it as this one has a jagged line through the wheel, not sure how that came about.

The case on this one I like because it fits the period of the watch correctly and has the more modern engine on the back. It gives it a bit of class! The case is a Star 10K filled.

DSC00538.JPG

DSC00539.JPG

DSC00540.JPG
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby brownsrplm » Mon May 19, 2014 2:30 pm

Here's a picture of the fixed movement. The balance and cock that were in the movement were from another one (when I bought it, it had a bad staff so I just changed the whole thing to see if it would run). I just swapped out the good balance and put it in the old cock and found a good wheel to replace the one with the imperfections in it, so now it is correct and near perfect.

DSC00541.JPG
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby brownsrplm » Tue May 20, 2014 4:10 pm

Today I'm carrying the first 992 I ever bought. It is still a very good timekeeper, but the bow has become loose over time and there is wear to the case a bit. I believe the minute hand is incorrect for the watch and I think I have one somewhere sitting. May change it, may not. After all it represents a starting point for me... :)

DSC00548.JPG

DSC00549.JPG

DSC00550.JPG

DSC00551.JPG
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby John Arrowood » Tue May 20, 2014 7:28 pm

This case on this one appears to be high karat gold. The dial is decorated with white, yellow, pink and green gold. Cuvette is marked Robt Roskell . Movement is a Lepine caliber with a side lever and huge clear jewels. I can not find a mark anywhere indicating gold purity. The back engraving looks three dimensional but it is flat. Keeps good time too.

ros01.jpg
ros02.jpg
ros03.jpg
ros04.jpg
John Arrowood
John Arrowood

NAWCC #: 022912

New postby brownsrplm » Tue May 20, 2014 8:13 pm

John,
Beautiful piece to carry around, I'm sure that isn't done much ;) I have been looking for something similar just to have something to compare to all the American movements I have. Do you have any idea of it's age?
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby John Arrowood » Tue May 20, 2014 9:38 pm

No idea of its age, probably after 1850 maybe last quarter of 19th century. I wish I could find a hallmark on it somewhere but not enough to let someone file the case to test the gold. There are questions about whether or not it's a product of Roskell, might be a Swiss ebauche that his shop completed. I have owned it for 30-40 years.
John Arrowood
John Arrowood

NAWCC #: 022912

PreviousNext

Return to Pocket Watches