Pocket Watches converted to Wristwatches, Yea or Nay ?

This is where we discuss pocket watches
Forum rules
Please post ONE ITEM PER TOPIC and post ATTACHED PICS only, NOT IMAGE LINKS.

Pocket Watches converted to Wristwatches, Yea or Nay ?

New postby pocwatjim » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:39 pm

We are discussing this subject on the NAWCC MB so I thought I would post something here to wake up the sleeping.

Is this a useful thing to do with all of the orphaned movements because or scrapping?

Probably better than sitting in drawers and they are becoming popular with younger guys.

Is mine bigger than your, type of thing :lol:

This is a 18s Hamilton grade 927 Hunting movement fitted to a stainless steel case with big glass beveled crystals. There is a cut out for the lever.
Attachments
DSCN8414.JPG
DSCN8415.JPG
DSCN8404.JPG
DSCN8410.JPG
DSCN8412.JPG
DSCN8413.JPG
DSCN8416.JPG
DSCN8407.JPG
Jim Haney
pocwatjim

Skype Account: pocwatjim
NAWCC #: 138323

Re: Pocket Watches converted to Wristwatches, Yea or Nay ?

New postby Tom Huber » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:05 pm

I am not a fan. I guess my small wrist wouldn't handle a larger wristwatch. Also, all people wearing these must realize how very fragile they are. Even the smallest bump can break a balance staff.

but we are in the age of fads. millennials must keep up.

Tom
Tom Huber

NAWCC #: 083412

Re: Pocket Watches converted to Wristwatches, Yea or Nay ?

New postby 4brokenow » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:05 pm

I think as it gets more difficult every year to find Hunter cases for derelict movements that this is a just find use for a mundane 927. It is insanely big yes, but is interesting nevertheless especially when done well. The great part is that it makes a great conversation piece around the water cooler and may bring someone to this seemingly dying hobby.

Milenials seem not to have interest in things that don't have a broad-band or wi-fi connection.

I have a high grade Swiss that will never be worth anything unless it had its original case (Next to impossible to find). I have been fooling around with fitting it into a wrist watch case. It's closer to a 16-size though. It is a better use than living in a parts drawer.
Phil Rickert
4brokenow

NAWCC #: 170509

Return to Pocket Watches