Broaches

Tools and equipment used by watchmakers

Moderator: mesomachines

Broaches

New postby Marty101 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:45 am

Friends,I bought broaches when I first got into this hobby,more broaches a couple years later when I was a bit more educated,and still more over the years. This post concerns only cutting broaches sized .80mm. and up. Mini broaches are not an issue here.

I have 2 sets of cutting broaches sized approx. .80mm. up to about 2.60mm and about 3.5" long. The sets were different brands and even from different countries,but generally of good quality. No complaints there. What they all had in common was a pentagram/5-sided working end. The handle end is always a much shorter section and 4-sided.

Recently a good friend informed me his broaches are all 4-sided. He has 2-3 sets the same sizes as mine,they are nameless like my sets also. I have searched everywhere for these,and have asked my friend if perhaps I misunderstood-but he confirmed his broaches are all 4-sided. I have also bought a couple more sets recently hoping to get lucky-but all are 5-sided.

Am I chasing a ghost? Do 4-sided broaches really exist?
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

NAWCC #: 0168154

Re: Broaches

New postby 4brokenow » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:43 pm

Marty,

All the large broaches I have are 5-sided as well. These are very old broaches and not newly purchased.

Why are you pursuing the 4-sided ones?
Phil Rickert
4brokenow

NAWCC #: 170509

New postby Marty101 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:18 am

Phil,I'm hearing from other watchmakers that they have 3 and 4 sided,so I know they are out there. Somewhere.
I need them to smooth square holes for one. I get a lot of key wind minute hands with damaged/peened holes that a proper broach could fix in less than a minute. And if you have a 5 sided broach and a square hole,you generally have to use broaches a size smaller than ideal. I have mini broaches that are flat;it would be great to have a set of flat in the larger sizes too.
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

New postby 4brokenow » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:34 pm

Marty

I misunderstood the type of broach. I don't have any broaches for square hole making. I was assuming you were referring to a round hole broach.

I also always assumed that the square hole in key-wind hands would have been punched when manufactured. Then filed if needed to be fit. I have filed 18-size round hole hands into key-wind square hole fitments as well using a very small Swiss made square file.

A true square hole broach would teeth along its length? I have never heard of such a thing for the everyday watch maker. I would assume this device would require a fixture clamp for the work and some type of moveable arbor to force the broach through the hole vertically.

Phil
Phil Rickert
4brokenow

NAWCC #: 170509

New postby Marty101 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:42 pm

SAM_5161.JPG
Phil I have made my own tools grinding down finger files, but still hope to get a proper set.
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

New postby Stephan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:30 am

That's the way I do them.
I leave the hands as found till I need one and then fit it to the watch in question.
I find the hubs are often not a perfect square and the hand will only fit properly one way.
I figure that out first and then fit the hour hand accordingly.
Learning all the time.
Stephan Gaal

Proud Member of Global Horology and Chapter 149
Stephan

Skype Account: stephan.gaal

New postby Marty101 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:37 pm

First,forgive me if I confused things here. I don't generally use broaches,and only recently discovered that there are cutting and round sets myself. Learning of the many sided (two and/or more) variations also surprised me.
I tried to avoid talking KW hands at first;I thought it would only complicate matters. KW/18s hands have very small differences in post size,shape, and also the way the square hole was cut. Everything effects technique,time,etc. on any adjustment. Doing the same adjustment on two similar KW hands can be first easy and quick,then tedious.
Good tools are always a big plus in this hobby. :)
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

Return to Watchmaking Tools and Equipment