Building the Trent Pinion Mill

Tools and equipment used by watchmakers

Moderator: mesomachines

Re: Building the Trent Pinion Mill

New postby mars-red » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:42 pm

Finally, part 3 in the video series is up!

mars-red

NAWCC #: 0174607

New postby mars-red » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:49 pm

Getting pretty close to having enough footage to put together Part 4 of the video series - that will be about machining the knee. The rough cast surfaces were milled off, taking care to make sure the two adjacent surfaces that would receive female dovetails, were perfectly square to one another. For each dovetail, I removed most the waste using an end mill, then used the dovetail cutter. The dovetails need to be oversized to accomodate 3/32" thick gib strips. I ended up with a really nice fit that is quite snug but will move with a little force. Once the surfaces are scraped in, it should be perfect. I can already see, from the bright spots left on the rough machined bearing surfaces, that scraping will go quickly... the high spots are already very uniformly placed. I just need to drill and tap the gib screw holes for the column gib, then I'll be ready to start editing the next video.

In the meantime, here are some more photos.

After milling the dovetails for the column, test fit with the gib strip stock in place:
IMG_20170408_131728.jpg

Set back up in the mill, and slotted out ready for the bed dovetails:
IMG_20170408_171446.jpg

Both dovetails cut:
IMG_20170408_235038.jpg

Fit together after making a gib of the proper length, a snug enough fit that the knee stays put:
IMG_20170409_113013.jpg
mars-red

New postby mars-red » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:40 pm

Part 4 of the build is finally up. I got a bit distracted building a miniature tailstock turret for the watchmaker's lathe.

In this part, I talk about how to approach machining a casting (particularly when the casting doesn't leave much material to be removed), and then perform the first stage of machining on the knee, milling it to size and shape and milling the dovetails.

https://youtu.be/0YR_7YjxpQY

mars-red

New postby Glyn Meredith » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:50 am

Brilliant posts, Max, ... and a very useful archive for this message board. Many thanks for your support.
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

Previous

Return to Watchmaking Tools and Equipment