A first for me!!

Discussions of watch repairs and projects; progress, techniques, tips, and advice

Moderator: rrwatch

Forum rules
Please post ONE ITEM PER TOPIC and post ATTACHED PICS only, NOT IMAGE LINKS.

A first for me!!

New postby Mikie_T » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:18 pm

Well, I have been "working" on pocket watches as a hobby for about 3 years now. I have gotten better at taking apart a movement and getting back together without and "extra parts" left lying on my watch table... LOL.
SO, yesterday at our watch and clock club meeting, our retired watch repairman member gave a presentation on changing out a broken balance staff. I watched earnestly as Mr. Hudson went through the procedure. When he was done, he said, "OK Mike, sit down and change out this one for me."
I know my grin ran from ear to ear as Mr. Hudson guided me through the procedure and when I was done, I had successfully completed a balance staff change on a 16 size balance wheel! I learned which tools I needed to move on forward in my pocket watch repair education. I must say, Mr Hudson is an excellent teacher!
Yesterday after I got back home, I found the tools I needed to be able to remove the roller table from a balance. I have those on the way and I am excited to move on the next level on some of the watches I have in the drawer.

Here is a shot of a set of roller table tools like I have on the way.....

Roller Table remover.jpg

I am so excited to be able to move on to this next procedure in watch repair!

Mike
:D
Mike Turner

Elgin National Watch Company, Elgin, Illinois.... Founded 1864. Makers of Pocket Watches, Wrist Watches, Bomb Sights and Precision Instruments.
Mikie_T

Re: A first for me!!

New postby Marty101 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:29 pm

You'll never be sorry Mike. I envy you;having an old timer teach you is a fantastic opportunity to learn fast the correct way. Working alone can be a challenge and a half.
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

NAWCC #: 0168154

New postby Mikie_T » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:41 pm

Yes, Mr Hudson is a great guy. He has probably 50 years of experience with just about any kind of watch. He retired to my area from Florida.
I'm sure glad he didn't stay in Florida to retire!

Mike
Mike Turner

Elgin National Watch Company, Elgin, Illinois.... Founded 1864. Makers of Pocket Watches, Wrist Watches, Bomb Sights and Precision Instruments.
Mikie_T

New postby richiec » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:11 pm

Be very careful with the jawed ones, they break easily and are very brittle, hard metal. I have purchased two sets, one came with one already broken and the next one broke the first time I attempted to use it, this is where a watchmaker may have been able to steer me through the process better and prevent breakage.
Richard Cross
richiec

NAWCC #: 0168470

New postby Mikie_T » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:15 pm

10-4...
Thanks for the heads up Richie.

Mike
Mike Turner

Mikie_T

Return to Watch Repairs & Projects - progress, techniques and tips