Hampden Hancock - Case Troubles

Discussions of watch repairs and projects; progress, techniques, tips, and advice

Moderator: rrwatch

Forum rules
Please post ONE ITEM PER TOPIC and post ATTACHED PICS only, NOT IMAGE LINKS.

Hampden Hancock - Case Troubles

New postby Marty101 » Wed May 31, 2017 4:24 pm

My pal has a 12s/21j/OF Hampden Hancock # 197443 and he's having a very hard time casing it. I'm not sure why;he's tried a Dueber which I would expect to fit. I have a 12s Hancock myself that's in a Dueber 25 year case,but it is a hunter. I'm not sure if that is a factor.

I know how early Hampden 16s models can be quirky,and can need cases made prior to 1900. I also know early cases with a detent screw in the pendant will almost always fit those 16s movements in question.
Are we facing a similar thing with the open face 12s Hancock? He can squeeze it in the Dueber case but not get the front cover on.
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

NAWCC #: 0168154

Re: Hampden Hancock - Case Troubles

New postby John Arrowood » Wed May 31, 2017 4:39 pm

According to the "Complete Guide...." Hampden thin model 12 size movements will not fit in other American 12 size cases. The Hancock is not shown in the thin model name list .Maybe his case is for a thin model?

PS: If you have 12-size Hampdens in any of these models: Nathan Hale, Minute Man, Relgis, or Paul Revere you could try the movement in the empty case your friend has.
John Arrowood
John Arrowood

NAWCC #: 022912

Re: Hampden Hancock - Case Troubles

New postby Marty101 » Wed May 31, 2017 5:04 pm

John he actually thought of that first,and was worried the Hancock might be a "thin". He seems sure the case is OK. He did try switching the Hancock with his model 312 and had the same trouble. If I can I'll get pics but not sure they'll help.
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

NAWCC #: 0168154

Return to Watch Repairs & Projects - progress, techniques and tips