Extra Thick Crystals

Discussions of watch repairs and projects; progress, techniques, tips, and advice

Moderator: rrwatch

Forum rules
Please post ONE ITEM PER TOPIC and post ATTACHED PICS only, NOT IMAGE LINKS.

Extra Thick Crystals

New postby Marty101 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:30 pm

I need advice on extra thick crystals. Say 3mm. I have a couple on 18s silveroid type cases and they look fine. Certainly some cases are not obvious candidates. For instance some are thinner and more streamlined,or have a gentleman's type style,or are fancy,and so on.
What about factory cases,like Hamilton or Illinois? I am of two minds here. Are they out of place "factory" speaking ? Does it spoil the intended look? Some factory cases are heavier built and,in my opinion,can handle extra heavy crystals. I'm considering three: Hamilton A,#3,and #5.
Thoughts please!
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

NAWCC #: 0168154

Re: Extra Thick Crystals

New postby pocwatjim » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:56 pm

Marty,
The thick crystals were made for the old 18s cases in the 1870-90's time period. I have seen some on 16s RR cases but look odd and if it is a Montgomery style dial the small minute figures are usually distorted if you look at the dial because of the thick line at the bevel.
Jim Haney
pocwatjim

Skype Account: pocwatjim
NAWCC #: 138323

Re: Extra Thick Crystals

New postby Marty101 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:22 am

Yes-thanks Jim. I have decided that even though I like it,I would rather keep the "factory complete" look. I just wasn't sure if it was an option or not-but I believe not.
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

NAWCC #: 0168154

Return to Watch Repairs & Projects - progress, techniques and tips