old clock

Discuss clock projects, repair techniques; exchange tips and advice.

old clock

New postby perby » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:52 pm

Hi all,
I have this old mantle clock, likely either a Jerome or New Haven.
I am having a problem setting the beat.......... generally one can do this by slightly altering the crutch. This clock appears to run with a steady even beat, without the pendulum weight on, but as soon as you put the weight on it, it, stops after a few seconds. I was thinking that the pendulum rod spring, (might not be the name for it) might be the problem as it appeared slightly twisted, and I have attempted to straighten it out, almost with success, but it still has a very slight kink in it.
Is there any really simple explanation for my issues, as I have stated before clock repair is not one of my few fortes.
Bill
Bill Manders
perby

Re: old clock

New postby cannon pinion » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:21 pm

Bill - the pendulum suspension spring is likely the culprit. I have tried to straighten them as you did with little success.
The good news is they are easily available, even for vintage clocks, and cheap. Try Merritt's in Pennsylvannia, they are good to work with.
The pendulum has to swing in a flat arc, without wobble, and the center line of the arc should be where the verge would come to rest when the clock runs down. It's just like the line of centers in a watch escapement. Bending the crutch is the way to get the swing even on both sides of the center. But if the spring has a twist, the bob may swing crooked and hesitate, making one side of the swing slightly longer in duration and effecting the beat.
Andrew Yale
cannon pinion

New postby perby » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:32 pm

Andrew,
So when I put the weight on, the pendulum rod might swing off center a little more, causing that to happen ??
Bill
Bill Manders
perby

New postby cannon pinion » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:19 pm

Yes, it's typical for the crutch and spring without the bob to tick tok back and forth in apparent beat. When you hook the weight on, it will tend to twist to one side or another, and if the spring is distorted, the distortion becomes apparent then.
At least thats the way I figured it. I do know from experience with quite a few Ingraham and similar 8 day clocks that if you have a bad suspension spring it will run out of beat, and if the spring is really distorted, the clock will run for awhile and then stop.
Andrew Yale
cannon pinion

New postby perby » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:42 am

Andrew,
Thanks for the tip and information, appreciated.
Bill
Bill Manders
perby

Return to Clock Repairs - projects, techniques and tips