Westclox Big Ben

Discuss clock projects, repair techniques; exchange tips and advice.

Westclox Big Ben

New postby Irwin » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:03 pm

A friend brought me this clock, together with another couple of English mantle clocks that I'll show later when I get around to them.
I guess this is probably going to be a classic US clock and from the list of patents on the back it seems to date from 1914.
I don't think it needs any major surgery as I wound it up and it's running and the alarm seems to work.
I would like to open it up and give it a few drops of lubricant and then shine it up.
There are lots of screws on the back. How do I go about opening it up?

WC2.jpg

WC4.jpg

WC5.jpg

WC7.jpg

WC8.jpg
IF
Irwin
GH Moderator

Skype Account: sirirwin
NAWCC #: 167882

Re: Westclox Big Ben

New postby cannon pinion » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:37 pm

What I remember from a slightly newer model is you have to unscrew the 2 feet, the bow in the top, and then the 2 winding keys. The other knobs I recall being press fit, but I'm not sure. Then you take out the 4 screws in the countersunk recesses on back, and the movement should slide out, forward. You have to take the bezel and glass first.
It's been a long time since I worked on one of these, so go slow and check these instructions at each step to make sure they are working.
Andrew Yale
cannon pinion

New postby brownsrplm » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:28 pm

Irwin,
I have two of these; salt and pepper and as I recall you just need to remove the winders and the three screws around the center set knob to take it apart. If you remove the rest of the legs etc, it comes apart in a mess! I believe I posted both of mine on my blog last year sometime. By the way, the four recessed screws are for the bell assembly once you get the back off...
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

New postby Irwin » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:24 pm

Ray Hi,
Sorry I took so long to see this. Thanks.
I'll give it a shot.
IF
Irwin
GH Moderator

Skype Account: sirirwin
NAWCC #: 167882

Return to Clock Repairs - projects, techniques and tips