Cdn Forestville mantle clock

Discuss clock projects, repair techniques; exchange tips and advice.

Cdn Forestville mantle clock

New postby perby » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:50 pm

Hi all,
First off I am not a watch/clock repairer, have little to no experience to work on them.
Question is, and I hope is a simple matter. I have a Forestville mantle clock, with what I believe is a German movement in it, this clock is a non pendulum type, so how do I adjust fast / slow. There is a rotating lever of sorts on the top of the balance, that is what I thought would do it, but it seems not to be the method.
Any thoughts on this ?
Thanks,
Bill
Bill Manders
perby

Re: Cdn Forestville mantle clock

New postby brownsrplm » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:22 pm

Bill,
That actually should be how you adjust a free-floating balance. Sometimes it takes a bit of patience and a lot of tweaking to get them right. Another thing I learned about these, the wire has to be free of debris and gunk. A lot of times this is what affects the ability of these to stay in time. Clean out inside the tube that rides up and down around the wire and see how that affects your timing.
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

New postby veritas » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:55 pm

A picture would help a lot. Then i could tell whether is a floating balance or a platform escapement.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

New postby brownsrplm » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:08 pm

I'm more inclined to believe it is a floating balance as most German mantle movements are. If so, it is regulated as you thought, and when you seem to get no change it needs the maintenance I described above. If for some chance you do have a platform escapement movement in a mantle clock, think of it as the same as the regulator in a pocket watch. Below are examples of both types. Notice that either one of these, if they give you trouble, can be replaced as a unit.

Old style Hermle Floating Balance.jpg

Platform escapement.jpg
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby perby » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:17 am

Thanks Ray and Kevin,
Here is a picture of the balance, on the second one you should be able to see the lever I was mentioning - a dark spot to the left of center.
As stated I do not work on these, so really do hesitate to take anything apart both my eyes and patience at this stage have left a lot to be desired.
As much as it seems to run very well, except it does lose about a minute an hour.
And I do apologize for the poor pics.
Bill

Forestville 001.jpg
Forestville 002.jpg
Last edited by Glyn Meredith on Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Pics placed inline.
Bill Manders
perby

New postby brownsrplm » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:46 pm

Bill,
There should be a + and - on the movement plate somewhere to tell you which way to adjust the balance regulator. Carefully hold the wheel and move the lever in the direction that is + to increase speed. I forget the formula as too how far one hole or notch will give you per hour, maybe Kevin remembers...
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby veritas » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:52 pm

Hello Bill, i found this, hope it helps.

ftp://atmosman.com/pdf/hermle.pdf
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

New postby perby » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:08 am

Thanks again Ray and Kevin.

Unfortunately Kevin I am not of the skillset or mindset to remove the balance to try and adjust it as the diagram, well I should say not yet anyway, I really do not need another not working at all clock.
Ray, there does not appear to be a + or - sign on the balance , is there a predominate way they generally go, like left or right to fast - slow them. Actually I have gone both ways in 1 click increments, and it makes no difference at all, still about 24 + minutes in under 24 hours ? Really quite strange.

Again Thanks to both of you for all the good information,

Bill
Bill Manders
perby

New postby brownsrplm » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:14 pm

Bill,
That would indicate a cleaning is necessary, or you will have to follow the instructions Kevin provided. I have owned a couple of these that would not go in time no matter what I tried until removing excess weight off the wheel. That is what the instructions refer to. I would just try cleaning the movement first. That is an easy fix that doesn't take a lot of effort or skill in clock repair, especially if you already know watches. They really aren't bad movements and kind of nice to have around since they are designed to move without disrupting beat.

As for direction, whatever way tightens the counter-spring is faster. You can tell by looking close at the spring while turning the lever and you will be able to see which way to turn.
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby perby » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:14 pm

Ray,
I ended up cleaning the balance tube and cleaning around that whole part. It seems to have alleviated most of the problem, although I am still about 5 minutes a day out, good enough for me,
Thanks again to both you and Kevin,
Bill
Bill Manders
perby

Return to Clock Repairs - projects, techniques and tips