Slate Clock

Discuss clock projects, repair techniques; exchange tips and advice.

Slate Clock

New postby Irwin » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:40 pm

The lady who brought me the 2 mantle clocks was so pleased with the results, both clocks are now back her mother's and banging away, that she has now brought me a slate clock. Clearly, this one has also been in her mother's garden shed for decades, covered in cobwebs and without hands.
It's a British made clock, manufactured by the British United Clock Co. in Birmingham, and must weigh around 10 kgs.
It has lantern pinions.
The first issue will be how to get the movement out of the case. The access is presumably through the base.
A Google search provided historical info on the company, https://www.picollecta.com/p/british-united-clock-company-1000073778
The clock therefore dates from sometime between 1885 and 1909.

S5.jpg

S4.jpg

S2.jpg
IF
Irwin
GH Moderator

Skype Account: sirirwin
NAWCC #: 167882

Re: Slate Clock

New postby John Arrowood » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:55 pm

The movement attachment method looks like that on a French clock. You may be able to get the movement out from the front by taking out the bolts/screws in the brass ring on the back of the case. The screws most likely go into a couple of straps attached to the bezel and dial surround. The movement is then attached to the dial by posts and pins--or that's the usual case with French slate clocks.
John Arrowood
John Arrowood

NAWCC #: 022912

New postby Irwin » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:51 pm

Got the movement out of the case and the main problem is the broken spring on the strike side.
After a bit of tweaking and a few drops of oil, the movement is running.
Rather than replace the spring, is there any way to anchor the broken end of the spring around the post?

BU1.jpg

BU2.jpg
IF
Irwin
GH Moderator

New postby Irwin » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:51 pm

I managed to get the movement running, but other than replacing the broken spring, the strike side was unsolvable.
Considering the low value of the clock, and the owner's expectation of a no- cost repair, I decided to leave the clock as it was and returned it.
IF
Irwin
GH Moderator

New postby Neilywatch » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:04 am

Even though you have already returned it, I would have suggested to you to remove the spring. Soften the end and make a new loop. Punch 2 holes on the flats and rivet the loop together. Now you can anchor the mainspring back onto the post, and salvage the strike train.

With all due respect, don't do stuff for free, your time is valuable!
Neil Wohl
Neilywatch

NAWCC #: 0122281

New postby veritas » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:29 pm

Great looking clock, and i agree, best not to do it for free. I charge but not much. Slate clocks are rare. Not that many are made with slate.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

Return to Clock Repairs - projects, techniques and tips