A Seth Thomas 1900 Tambour? 89AL.

Discuss clock projects, repair techniques; exchange tips and advice.

A Seth Thomas 1900 Tambour? 89AL.

New postby m1dsch0ol » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:08 am

Ok, soooooo I live about a block away from two or three maybe more square miles of antique stores here in the city of Orange, Orange County, Ca. and afew others around town. Matter of fact there's even a store named "Now and Then". The proprietors are the TV stars fro the A&E show "Storage Wars" . Said all that to mention/ask about a Seth Thomas 89AL. mantel clock I picked up . I think it's from the very early 1900s.I cleaned her and oiled her and she works great. Hope I can post a few photos. The crutch had to be bent to allow the time train to function. Are these clocks of a high value? And how do I attach photos?
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

Re: A Seth Thomas 1900 Tambour? 89AL.

New postby brownsrplm » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:51 pm

Arthur,
When you click on post reply at the bottom of your response box you will see where it says "Options" and another tab that says "upload attachments". Click on that, hit browse and search for your pictures. When you have found them, click on add the file and also don't forget to click on "place in line" before posting.

Seth Thomas made a wide variety of movements and is one of the more desirable American companies of clocks. Your 89AL is a fairly popular movement that they used for quite some time and comes in various different forms to accommodate a wide variety of clocks that they made. For example: I have an 89AE movement that was made for Sonora Chimes movement clocks. That's a Westminster chime clock with bells instead of rods.

Please post your pics so we can have a look-see.
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

New postby m1dsch0ol » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:27 am

Again you come through with flying colors! I repaired the "Decor " with the 351 Hermle movement....Now she is hanging straight up and keeping excellent time and "singing". What's interestinitng is she sounds like clikety clock, clickety clock as opposed to tic toc, tic toc. I got mt Seth Thomas #6 double side key that is stamped "S/T" Here are a few pics. When I try to Upload I get this message"The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 300 KiB." And that is one photo only!
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

New postby Glyn Meredith » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:55 am

Arthur, if you're not sure how to resize a pic, please send it to me and I'll fix it.

Also, there is a topic on GH about posting pics.

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=315
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby m1dsch0ol » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:42 am

I do sincerely apologize for taking so long to reply: I'll try once again to post but just for your amusement or knowledge I purchased my first Korean which fell when I was photographing it do I briught a second and now I am restoring them ,They are both called "Lava" My file are all larger than 1MB .I Think I'll have to retake pics at a lower resolution? thank you Glyn Meredith .
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

New postby John Arrowood » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:14 pm

Most photo applications allow for reducing the size of photo files, you may have to look for the "reduce and save" box or look at the help file for your application under resizing or image size etc. It's very easy to do with the Windows photo apps.
John Arrowood
John Arrowood

NAWCC #: 022912

New postby m1dsch0ol » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:43 am

Thank you I will give it a try.
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

New postby Glyn Meredith » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:37 pm

m1dsch0ol wrote:... My file are all larger than 1MB .I Think I'll have to retake pics at a lower resolution? thank you Glyn Meredith .

Not necessary, Arthur. E-mail your pics to me and I will fix them and post them.

Service with a smile.
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

Return to Clock Repairs - projects, techniques and tips