Replacing mainsprings

Discuss clock projects, repair techniques; exchange tips and advice.

Replacing mainsprings

New postby Irwin » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:11 pm

I'm working on a JUF torsion clock. It runs continuously without the canon pinion and hour and minute wheels installed. But when I install them, it soon comes to a halt. It makes me wonder if the mainspring which very possibly been there for 100 years, may be 'past its best', and lacks sufficient power to drive the complete train. I can't find any other reason to explain why the clock stops..
I have spent some time trying a torsion washer behind the canon pinion, but it didn't change anything. When it is running, without the final train, the pendulum swings approx. 190 degrees. My question is, can I assume that if a new spring was installed it will increase the swing arc, supply more power and hopefully keep the clock running? It sounds like it's an obvious answer, so I suspect that this is going to be the fix.
The pics show it in running continuously mode. As soon as I add the minute and hour wheels it stops.

a1.jpg

a2.jpg
IF
Irwin
GH Moderator

Skype Account: sirirwin
NAWCC #: 167882

Re: Replacing mainsprings

New postby brownsrplm » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:11 am

Irwin,
Have you been inside the mainspring drum at all? These are real finicky about having to be real clean and slick inside to keep even power distribution on the train. So, I guess in response to your original question it could very well be the mainspring.
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

Re: Replacing mainsprings

New postby Irwin » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:04 pm

Haven't been in the mainspring as I had no way of handling them. I have ordered a winder and am waiting for it to arrive from the US. Then I'll be equipped to deal with mainsprings.
The clock continues to run, until I put on the minute and hour wheels, and that quickly stops it. I have tried it several times, and every time I get the same result.
IF
Irwin
GH Moderator

Skype Account: sirirwin
NAWCC #: 167882

Return to Clock Repairs - projects, techniques and tips