Putting the cams back to fuctionality on a Hermle 351......

Discuss clock projects, repair techniques; exchange tips and advice.

Putting the cams back to fuctionality on a Hermle 351......

New postby m1dsch0ol » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:55 am

Stopped by to to say I ordered my 7th book. It's "Striking Clocks" by Conover. I have dis-assembled and re-assembled this 1st movement 10 or so times. The pendulum goes back and forth. It was "getting pretty quick in back and forth increments 'till I re-adjusted the verge and I don't think it's still quite right yet. I think I may need to adjust the verge some more. For the life of me I thought I had a grasp on the chime and strike situation :oops: . I'm not sure because I adjusted the strike hammers and then proceeded from 1/4 all the way to the 1 hour. AND BOY DID SHE SOUND SWEET! I don't think the hour chimes engaged because I could not see the hammers engaging the hour strikes. This is why I don't think I quite have the strike and chime quite right! I'm hoping that either the book,(hasn't happened yet), or a Wiser, more experienced Clock-Maker will read my post and know exactly what I'm doing incorrectly and let a few ingredients out of the kitchen...... I have tightened all the nuts like car tires and not "overt-tight", I have polished every pivot,burnished every pivot hole save the "great-wheel", I took chamois to every pivot-hole. They were all SLICK-SMOOTH and POCK-LESS. All my pivots are straight and true. Ready to war tirelessly with father time. I have extra/spare springs in barrels. I have not changed the springs because I understand with everything clean and burnished the movement shouldn't need much power. I have not filed needlessly. where oh where am I going astray? PLEASE HELP A NEWB ! Thank you
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

Re: Putting the cams back to fuctionality on a Hermle 351......

New postby Glyn Meredith » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:02 am

Hi, folks,

Arthur has been waiting some while for a reply to this 'newbie' question and has now posted in this forum, as suggested. I'm sure we can help him with some tips and advice.
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby brownsrplm » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:59 pm

Arthur,
The 351 series should have a self regulating strike on it. After an hour or two it will settle in to where it should be. Then you make adjustments to the hands to coincide with the strike. If this movement is striking all 1/4 hr settings except the main hour strike, there may be some issue with that hour strike barrel assembly or the trip mechanism for the top of the hour. Check those out and see if there is any obstruction keeping it from tripping the hour. Make sure the flyweight moves freely for the hour strike also.
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

New postby brownsrplm » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:04 am

Arthur,
I have a parts 341 movement here which is quite similar to the 351. Did you by any chance remove the two screws and cam/hammer assembly off the movement? If so, the gears have to be messed so that when your movement hits the top of the hour, all the hammers are sitting in a grove, not on top of a cam. To correct that, take the two screws loose and pull the assembly loose, rotating the gear in the second picture till the cam is in the full hour position. See the gear to the left in the second picture? Then the movement should trip and you will have your strike back. This sometimes takes a bit of fiddling with so don't tighten down the two screws until you have it right. If you hold the movement in it's upright position, you should be able to tell when all five hammers are down.

DSC00100.JPG

DSC00101.JPG
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby m1dsch0ol » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:18 am

I really do appreciate these posts/comments, they mean the world to me literally. I am receiving another book on Sat. the 21st of this June. Get this......after receiving my most recent book " Striking Clock Repair Guide, Steven G. Conover"I was perusing the book and I noticed the Mr. Conovers' phone number.I gave him a ring and he,(actually his wife), and boy did i get an earful of good 'ol wisdom. So he said I got the wrong book and I should've ordered "Chime Clock Repair
Steven G. Conover" So I did and to me it's like Christmas morning waiting for this book YAAAAAAAAY ! So again thank thank you all
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

New postby m1dsch0ol » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:57 am

brownsrplm wrote:Arthur,
I have a parts 341 movement here which is quite similar to the 351. Did you by any chance remove the two screws and cam/hammer assembly off the movement? If so, the gears have to be messed so that when your movement hits the top of the hour, all the hammers are sitting in a grove, not on top of a cam. To correct that, take the two screws loose and pull the assembly loose, rotating the gear in the second picture till the cam is in the full hour position. See the gear to the left in the second picture? Then the movement should trip and you will have your strike back. This sometimes takes a bit of fiddling with so don't tighten down the two screws until you have it right. If you hold the movement in it's upright position, you should be able to tell when all five hammers are down.

"Till the cam is in the full hour position"--------->[How does one know when the hammers or the hammers' corresponding mechanism is in the hour position? You see that is my trouble putting my movement back together , but as the gentleman stated my movement should synchronize itself. This is nice to know and the book I'll be getting will hopefully help too. Again ,to wit: How does one know when the hammers or the hammers' corresponding mechanism is in the hour position "? Can you send a few,( please) :mrgreen: , more pix? In advance: - THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ALL AND ANY HELP.
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

New postby brownsrplm » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:15 pm

If you observe the hammers while you rotate the cam gear, you will see each hammer rise and fall. It will go through the 1/4 cycle then 1/2, 3/4, and then full. (unless you are out of cycle, then you will have to find your starting point) At that point you are in the position for the strike on the hour. Everything should be set correctly at that point. It helps me to play the tune in my mind while observing the hammers.
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby m1dsch0ol » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:54 am

Right......so I got my book chiming .......by Conover'95? Anyhow it has plenty of "all around" info. I was reading up on how to put the chime and such in order ,but dear Mr. Conover didn't mention the how on the gathering pallet. And I believe I have a handle on the hammers, I'll let u know in a day.......Bear with me. Thanks I'm sending a pic with this post......Did not get a handle on the sending pics, or this pallet gatherer and rack stuff but I'll not give up 'till I see the whites their eyes
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

New postby Glyn Meredith » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:24 pm

I don't see your pic, Arthur. Please e-mail me, if you're not sure how to upload attached pics.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

New postby m1dsch0ol » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:26 pm

:mrgreen: Kindest and most helpful sir: I can't e-mail you because when I press on your e-mail icon I get a reply message saying I am not allowed to e-mail you, I really do appreciate any and all of your assistance thank you very much; Arthur. :P
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

New postby Glyn Meredith » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:13 am

I've e-mailed you, Arthur.

Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

New postby m1dsch0ol » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:07 am

thanxi FIGURED THAT I'D PUT A FILM UP ON YOU TUBE . THE TITLE IS "HERMLE 351-031MOVEMENT PACING"SEARCH FOR THIS WITH OUT THE QUOTES. THANX.

Last edited by Glyn Meredith on Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added youtube link
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

New postby Glyn Meredith » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:15 am

Some pics from Arthur:

DSCN3415_06-25-2014_053DSCN3415.JPG
DSCN3416_06-25-2014_054DSCN3416.JPG
DSCN3417_06-25-2014_055DSCN3417.JPG
DSCN3418_06-25-2014_056DSCN3418.JPG

Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

New postby brownsrplm » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:48 am

Arthur,
The outer cam under the hands gives the strike number, so if it is all the way up like the picture, it should strike twelve times. The "snail" underneath, or inner cam must be in the furthest position or smallest size on that cam for 12. The the hammers must be coordinated with them so all the hammers are in their rest position (or down). If all this is lined up the clock movement should function as it should.

Glyn, thanks for the pics they help a lot :) By the way, been resting at that bench at Oxford? "oh rest a bit for 'tis a rare place to rest at".
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby Glyn Meredith » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:58 am

brownsrplm wrote:... By the way, been resting at that bench at Oxford? "oh rest a bit for 'tis a rare place to rest at".

Aha! I wondered how long it would take. An uncle of mine taught me about that when I was a nipper, so it's been there for about 60 years, at least.

Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Next

Return to Clock Repairs - projects, techniques and tips