Putting the cams back to fuctionality on a Hermle 351......

Discuss clock projects, repair techniques; exchange tips and advice.

Re: Putting the cams back to fuctionality on a Hermle 351......

New postby m1dsch0ol » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:01 am

:D So it was 6:00P.M.when I decided to give the 'ol German girl a wind :shock: . The Strike side wound well but when I wound the Time train....nothing but click,click,click. That was all. So having extras, yes you guessed. I tossed in another cleaned and good condition barrel and spring, wound the Chime train .I think the reason the movement was sold on ebay is because the spring that just click,click,clicked was/is the original to the movement. Voila!! she sang the most beautiful Westminster I have ever heard! Then she donged 7 times! so thank you every one :lol: , I'm off to the next adventure!! :mrgreen:
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

New postby Glyn Meredith » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:50 am

Good chimes; good times. Well done, Arthur!
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby brownsrplm » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:07 am

Makes you feel good to revive something that is a part of history. Glad it all worked out for you. :)
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

New postby m1dsch0ol » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:21 pm

:D Yes; :D and I owe quite a bit of this repair 0f the 351 031 34CM to this site and you Mr. Raymund L. Brown, sometimes I think you are the only person who peruses this site.But I know Glyn is watching too. My 351-031 34CM just went off in the backround.Glyn I'm done here Thank you for the "push" for replies earlier in this 351 031 34CM quest. :twisted: I'm going to ask a stupid question BUT NOT HERE! OUT! :roll:
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

New postby brownsrplm » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:48 pm

In all fairness Arthur,
Most of the guys on here will leave you alone if you are getting instruction on how to fix something, unless that person runs into something they don't know themselves. In all probability there were several others watching this post and they just followed to make sure you got it right. And so you did!!! :D :D :D
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby m1dsch0ol » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:55 am

Ok I'm going to the "ask a question" ;)
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

New postby m1dsch0ol » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:14 am

:D July 20 10:00 P.M.--Yesterday August 03 9:45P.M. my 351-031 34CM finally used up all of the energy stored in her time train barrel :roll: That is many days & I'm hoping this is a good omen. Tonight before rewinding her I put the "all metal chime gear" into the 351-031 34CM movement. I reasoned that the 351-031 34CM wasn't gonging loud enough because of the plastic "chime(?)" I don't know what the apparatus/piece is named.Sure enough as soon as the 351-031 34CM was wound she produced a much louder musical gong! I still have the leather hammer heads and they are in quite good condition, pip,pip cheerio ! I 'm wondering if they should be installed or ?? :roll:
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

New postby brownsrplm » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:40 pm

To get the correct tone you should install the hammers. Metal on metal may be louder, but that tone should be more like a musical instrument such as a xylophone. It uses hard plastic or leather hammers to hit each tuned piece of metal to get the correct tones. Same applies with your clock movement. If it wasn't loud enough before, it may be because the hammers weren't far enough away from the rods and when you changed them out that fixed the problem. It will sound quite nice with the leather hammers providing they aren't softened up from years of use.
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby m1dsch0ol » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:07 pm

THANK YOU,I'll leave the plastic ones on the 351-031 34 CM for now, Now I have to start looking for a new project!!I know I'll go to the free or wanted and see if any one has a clock in need of repair . :lol:
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

New postby m1dsch0ol » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:45 am

351-031 34 cm has the old leather hammers and what a difference in sound..........such melody, crisp & clean! :roll:
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

New postby brownsrplm » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:05 pm

Yes, they made them that way for just that reason. I love the sound of these myself! Great job...
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby m1dsch0ol » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:35 am

I have yet to find a movement or clock other than 351-030.
A great society not only searches out excellence but rewards it-anonymous
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

New postby m1dsch0ol » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:58 am

Haven't checked in for a while. Purchased 3 proper and new springs for the 351-031 and now my clock is cock-eyed at a 15 or so degree angle. I don't want to bend the cruth o. I am going to try a different "verge holder"; I believe it is unless there is something I may have forgotten to do. Thanx as usual for any and all advice.CHEERS
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

New postby brownsrplm » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:51 pm

Art,
The leader should be adjustable on that movement and is probably why it is off now. You may have inadvertently bumped it when replacing the springs. The shaft that goes through the verge is friction fit so that it can be adjusted. All you need to do is look for center on the movement, which usually will be a pivot or screw. Then swing the leader back and forth observing how far it goes in both directions before it meets resistance. Push on the leader a bit on the side that doesn't go as far until it is an even distance in both directions and you should be good.
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby m1dsch0ol » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:38 am

Thank you I will look into the leader....I have another question about a Seth Thomas, where do I go on this site to ask?
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

PreviousNext

Return to Clock Repairs - projects, techniques and tips