Putting the cams back to fuctionality on a Hermle 351......

Discuss clock projects, repair techniques; exchange tips and advice.

Re: Putting the cams back to fuctionality on a Hermle 351......

New postby m1dsch0ol » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:14 am

Thanks Mr. brown I'll give it a go and let you know how it went. I don't know if any of you saw the "spinning" of the movement. Is that a proper looking spin?
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

New postby brownsrplm » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:22 am

Arthur,
I did look at the video and everything seems to rotate as it should. You do need to hold it in the position it is mounted and see if it quits when it should. I also noticed that you have a spring hooked up wrong for the arm which tells the movement what hour it is. The spring should be hooked under the arm, not over it. Looks like it's keeping it from resting against the snail.
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

New postby m1dsch0ol » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:13 pm

I'll look into this and as I keep saying, but I do mean it sincerely; Thank You and I really esteem all of the knowledge you dispense along with your patience.
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

New postby m1dsch0ol » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:44 am

This querie is for Mr. Brownsrplm : "The outer cam under the hands" which hands are you talking about? Do you mean the chime lever or any of those levers? then you explain "The "snail" underneath, or inner cam " are you talking about the snail and cam or .......? Please remember I am as "green" as a Newbie can be. Thank you, Arthur. Is there any way you can put up a few pics utilizing a pointer of some sort showing me of how these sychro mechanisms should sit :roll: ?
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

New postby brownsrplm » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:48 am

Arthur,
I will take pictures of the 341 and post them. It is close enough to yours that you should be able to see where everything should go. As for the rack & snail setup, the outer count rack is just under the minute hand and looks like a saw blade. The snail is underneath all the hands and in fact the hour hand rides on the tube from it. Will post what I can here this afternoon.
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby m1dsch0ol » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:03 pm

Thank you sir. :P
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

New postby brownsrplm » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:28 pm

Okay Arthur,

I'm going to try and explain this picture by picture. Bear in mind that this is a 341 and has a few small differences from your movement, however it is basically the same design. The first picture is of the movement just as it reaches 12. the inner cam I spoke of is right behind the bottom gear in this picture and is in essence just a cam with four positions. It lifts the arm to let the movement know when to strike out each of the 15 minute interval strikes.

DSC00110.JPG

The second picture here is of the movement when it is at just before the twelve o'clock strike. Note the position of the rack & snail. The rack is resting on the snail at the twelve o'clock position. The cam farthest to the right is about to make its fourth rotation. This is for the chime. Note the distance between each of the indentations on the cam.

DSC00111.JPG

The third picture is of the movement just after it goes through the chime/strike part of the sequence. Notice that the rack is now moved up after the strike has take place. You will also see if you look close that the pins for the arms are all resting in their grooves so that the strike could occur. Note the position of the cam furthest to the right which has rotated to the full hour strike position. It has four indentations, each of which are just a bit larger, until the last one that it is in now. That one is a bit deeper to allow the strike to occur. When in this position, the arm that allows the hammers and cam to rotate has tripped and the the hour strike went off, (providing it is in sync).

DSC00116.JPG

The last picture is of the cam and hammers, showing you where they should be when the clock strikes 12. You can't see all four cam spikes, but they are stepped in line with the first two that you see from the left. The fourth one is very close to the hammer, but not quite touching it. When setting the cam to the movement, providing everything else goes through its complete cycle; All you need to do is synchronize the hammers to start the 12 o'clock strike. To do this, like I stated before, loosen up the two screws that hold it in place. Turn the gear slowly in the direction the movement should turn normally and count. First the cams will move the hammers only once giving you 4 strikes, one for each hammer (except the fifth which is only used for the strike, not chime). Then there will be a slight dead space before the cams start hitting the hammers again. This will be 8 hammer strikes and then another slight pause. The same occurs for the third time which will be 12 hammer strikes followed by the slight pause. The last will be 16 hammer strikes after which you put the hammers back in position and it all should be synchronized and ready to run. Make sure you stop turning the cams just after the last hammer falls on the 16th strike.

DSC00114.JPG

Hopefully this clears thing up for you a bit and I was able to explain to you how to set this movement up correctly. It is important that all the cams line up correctly throughout the whole movement for it to operate correctly. If you have that inner and outer cam out of sync, just pull the C clip and washer off the gear just to the left of the snail cam. You can then rotate it to where the outer and inner cams are coordinated.
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby m1dsch0ol » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:03 am

Thank you, I'll try on the morrow as this day is in the proverbial history books . I'll keep you posted
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

New postby m1dsch0ol » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:19 am

:D It's been quite a few days but I still have not given up nor do I envision myself as a "quitter" as it were. I have not mentioned this but the suspension spring on the movement we have been discussing is in pretty bad shape, it has wrinkles and a small tear. I believe this may be the main obstacle to the functionality of said movement. After re-assembling the movement this time it seemed that she really wanted to give it a go but couldn't. She literally jerked and convulsed and tried to "tic-toc " but I think that the damaged suspension spring arrested her action........ So I purchased a new one and am waiting for it. Also on the shopping list is a "working, needs cleaning or oiling" 351-031...34cm movement for $30.00(American) pretty good deal because it is the exact movement I would need on E-BAY. I'll definitely keep all' y'all posted . Of course any input is always and forever appreciated and used wisely. Signing out for now.....the Southern Yankee, Me. ARTEMUS OF RODERICK. :ugeek:
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

New postby m1dsch0ol » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:42 am

I do not know how to post a video file and I have tried but I cannot find out where or how but this is the gist:::: ;) Here is a 351-031 34CM Hermle. It is re branded by Hermle and says "Davis" it is missing pieces that I have on my movement. the two are the exact same type and model. Gentlemen at GLOBAL HOROLOGY.....Is it OK to put my parts onto the places where they are missing onto this other one? the title is : :P OLD & NEW 351 031= NOW.thank you very much for your time.
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

New postby m1dsch0ol » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:04 pm

m1dsch0ol wrote:I do not know how to post a video file and I have tried but I cannot find out where or how but this is the gist:::: ;) Here is a 351-031 34CM Hermle. It is re branded by Hermle and says "Davis" it is missing pieces that I have on my movement. the two are the exact same type and model. Gentlemen at GLOBAL HOROLOGY.....Is it OK to put my parts onto the places where they are missing onto this other one? the title is : :P OLD & NEW 351 031= NOW.thank you very much for your time.
"Almost the same :roll: not exactly the same although the numbers are the same"
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

New postby m1dsch0ol » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:22 am

I beilieve I have circumvented a repair. After trying 7 to ??? times to repair I brought one from a seller whos' handle is "SNICKERSKERRY" He posted as "working and running", It arrived missing the chime silencer and a synchro piece. I asked him why and he told me to look at the picture so I do not buy a mis-represention......I said alot of sellers put up false pics. anyway my clock is working . All I have to do is adjust the chime hammers, any suggestions?
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

New postby brownsrplm » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:51 pm

Arthur,
When you say adjust, do you mean they aren't hitting the rods right? If so, all you have to do is bend the arm on each hammer so that it just comes close to each rod, but not touching and you should be all set. It's a shame you didn't get the first movement straight, maybe that's something for another day :)
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

New postby m1dsch0ol » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:33 pm

"Maybe something for another day" , My exact thoughts! I had to have something to show for all my hours of tinkering in the garage . The hammers are adjustable it's the spring I think. It may be a bit old. The reason I think this is because when I put the pieces that were missing into the "new" movement, then I installed the "new" movement up in my "computer room" it is keeping magnificent almost scary perfect time. When I went to wind her the chime side was fully wound but the time train took 8 plus winds and when she does strike I've got to flick or give the fly-wheel governor a spin and she will gong ever so weakly bless the poor thing :roll: . So there it is.........Any suggestions :| ? I remember finding the old movements fascinating and the quote is also a 1st memory I didn't believe it but alas! :evil:
Be repaired to throw out your first movement
Arthur Wayne Rodriguez
m1dsch0ol

New postby brownsrplm » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:09 pm

Give the flywheel a tiny shot of silicone oil on each pivot and it should be as good as gold.
Raymund L. Brown

George Washington
brownsrplm

PreviousNext

Return to Clock Repairs - projects, techniques and tips