Pequegnat Vancouver, hall clock.

Discuss clock projects, repair techniques; exchange tips and advice.

Pequegnat Vancouver, hall clock.

New postby veritas » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:01 pm

Peq case.JPG
I am restoring this hall clock.About a year ago i overhauled the movement and posted about doing this on this message board.Nor i am restoring the case, which is the most difficult part.originally it was fumed oak.I dont have the resources to do it and also the grain of the wood will never be seen if it were fumed.
So i decided to strip the gunk that someone put on the case off.Its been scraped by hand, with a blade from a wood worker,s hand plane.It worked quite well to do this.whatever they used was a very hard finish to scrape, required a lot of elbow grease.This clock restoration is the biggest job i have taken on.But i feel it will look great when done.
I did the final sanding today and i put a few coats of shellac on.I think it looks alot better now than before.When finished i will post a picture of it and a picture of how it looked when i purchased the clock.Her eis the case as it looks now.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

Re: Pequegnat Vancouver, hall clock.

New postby veritas » Sun May 22, 2011 11:15 pm

Well this is where i am now with this clock.
I need to repair the latch on the door.And also make the fancy work on the upper glass in the door to match the lower glass.When the work on the upper glass is done you wont be able to see so much of the paint that someone painted inside the case.It does not really bother me much.It reminds me of the bad things people do to clocks.
Here is a picture of the clock now.

My Peq.JPG
Kevin West
veritas

New postby veritas » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:24 am

I think Raymund would like this clock.
Kevin West
veritas

New postby cannon pinion » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:00 am

nice job indeed. how are you going to replicate that moulding? it looks too large to use a router. i'm thinking it might take a moulding plane, or else cut the edges to 45 degree angle and round it out with a jack plane.
Andrew Yale
cannon pinion

New postby veritas » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:14 pm

Hi Andrew there is no wood work to do, the case is complete.
Kevin West
veritas

New postby cannon pinion » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:08 pm

what is the fancy work you mention?
Andrew Yale
cannon pinion

New postby veritas » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:30 am

Its called glue chipping, sand blast the glass first then apply a coat of hide glue on it.The bottom glass is done, but not the top one in the door.
Kevin West
veritas

New postby cannon pinion » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:48 pm

I see it now on the bottom glass. If I'm seeing right, it makes for a frosted look. I used to print my photos on glass using a sensitized rubber emulsion and then etch them in, using acid or sandblasting. The acid was bad stuff, hydroflouric, you have to wear respirator and safety gear, so I settled on sandblast exclusively. I assume the hide glue is to give it more of a rippled look.
Andrew Yale
cannon pinion

New postby veritas » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:01 pm

Vancouver (1).JPG
Yes Andrew a rippled frosted effect. I am gusessing just the bottom glass is original. Would be nice to get the other glass done, with sand blasting, dont wish to go the more hazardous way. Its a nice clock and i enjoy it very much.
It looked really bad when i first got it.
Kevin West
veritas

New postby brownsrplm » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:55 pm

Kevin,
Do you have a picture of the works for this clock? It is coming along very nicely.

I'm still looking for a case for my Hermle 2571-850 movement/dial/pendulum set. It is quite a rare movement. This movement has 4 jewels and has 16 hammers which play Beethoven's Ode to Joy, Ave Maria and of course Westminster chimes...
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

New postby cannon pinion » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:44 pm

Case is looking super. Sandblasting glass is not expensive. You just need to make a mask by taping the glass with heavy duty masking tape and then cutting out the design you want frosted with an exacto knife.
Take it to the sandblaster - there is usually one in most major towns - and ask him to put a light frost on it to start. If you want more, let him take another whack at it. Bring a practice piece of glass - some guys may only have blasted metal.
If you are anywhere near New York City, Gilsoul is the outfit that specializes in this stuff.
I'd guess it would cost under 30 bucks to blast.
Andrew Yale
cannon pinion

New postby veritas » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:27 am

Hi Ray, in the second picture the clock is finished, except for the glass. No i live in Canada, but i have a buddy who can do sand blasting. Perhaps one day take it over to him. That is quite the movement Ray, sounds like a complicated one too.
The clock now is in my livingroom, next to a wall, with come Christmas decorations on it.
Kevin West
veritas

Return to Clock Repairs - projects, techniques and tips