Racking My Brain

Discuss clock projects, repair techniques; exchange tips and advice.

Racking My Brain

New postby Dick Feldman » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:37 pm

For the last two weeks, I have been at a loss for solutions for a rack/gravity clock. The problem was intermittent running or better said, Intermittent stopping. When it would stop, it seemed to run out of power for an instant. I have had the thing apart untold times, bushing, polishing, cleaning and looking for the (real) problem. I added extra weight, loaded the thing with rubber bands, etc, etc. Nothing seemed to help and the stopping had no pattern. Sometimes it would run an hour, sometimes a day. It would also stop randomly with respect to the clock’s position on the gear. This is one of those Anno clocks and the movement has to be enclosed in the weight to run. In other words, it is impossible to see the movement run when assembled and running.
The unlikely solution was to wax the rail/linear gear and the guides on the clock movement. I used Johnson Paste Wax on all of those surfaces. That must have been the solution, because that is what made the clock run. My theory is the movement was rotating a little bit and binding as it traveled down the linear gear.
Friction was caused by the clock movement and weight not sliding freely on the gear. I am glad I tried another last resort idea.
The clock has been running flawlessly for more than four days.
This is just a situation I thought might save someone else some trouble some day.
Dick
Attachments
for email 10.jpg
for email 10.jpg (83.34 KiB) Viewed 1201 times
Dick Feldman

NAWCC #: 138085

Re: Racking My Brain

New postby Tom Seymour » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:32 am

Great solution Dick. Thanks for the "heads up" on that particular problem.
Tom Seymour

Member:
Chapter #157,Chapter #192
Pacific Northwest
Tom Seymour

NAWCC #: 041293

New postby E. A. (Curly) Sjolander » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:47 am

Dick, Thanks for tip on the rack clock, I work on these once in a while and will have to file this away for future use.

Curly
E. A. (Curly) Sjolander

NAWCC #: 085527

New postby Tony Ambruso » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:57 pm

Nice solution, Dick. Thanks for sharing.
Tony
Tony Ambruso

Return to Clock Repairs - projects, techniques and tips