old clock

Discuss clock projects, repair techniques; exchange tips and advice.

old clock

New postby perby » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:52 pm

Hi all,
I have this old mantle clock, likely either a Jerome or New Haven.
I am having a problem setting the beat.......... generally one can do this by slightly altering the crutch. This clock appears to run with a steady even beat, without the pendulum weight on, but as soon as you put the weight on it, it, stops after a few seconds. I was thinking that the pendulum rod spring, (might not be the name for it) might be the problem as it appeared slightly twisted, and I have attempted to straighten it out, almost with success, but it still has a very slight kink in it.
Is there any really simple explanation for my issues, as I have stated before clock repair is not one of my few fortes.
Bill
Sorry do not know how I double posted this
Bill Manders
perby

Re: old clock

New postby brownsrplm » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:13 am

Bill,
If this clock still quits after your efforts to rectify the suspension spring, you may have the wrong size bob on it. This will definitely affect the clocks ability to keep time...
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

New postby perby » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:35 am

Ray,
The bob I have came with the clock, and seems to look period correct, but I have no way to ascertain for sure.
The other strange thing in my limited experience, is that the rod and spring are one piece, it also looks as if the pin the spring connects to all belong together also, that is it appears there is no way to separate any of these pieces............ If you see my original post re: unknown clock the pictures might be clear enough to show what I mean.
Thanks,
Bill
Bill Manders
perby

New postby veritas » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:25 am

I have seen this type of rod, the end is flattened and that is the suspension spring part. maybe i mis read, but you are trying to set the beat with the bob on.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

New postby perby » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:17 pm

Kevin,
I was trying to set the beat with the bob on. I actually got it working, the pin that holds the spring is a separate piece, and I pulled the spring up past the kink in it, and then again tried to set the beat and it worked, actually very well, it is holding at about a minute fast in 12 hrs, and I just now set the bob a little lower to compensate for that, I Hope...
Thanks all for all the help.
Bill
Bill Manders
perby

New postby veritas » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:22 pm

No problem Bill, i have seen that before, a movement run with no bob, and then bob on it, it stops. Different things might cause this, but i think the overall condition of the clock. Glad its keeping fair time for you and keeps running.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

Return to Clock Repairs - projects, techniques and tips