Industrial timekeepers... a cheap way to enter the hobby

Industrial timekeepers... a cheap way to enter the hobby

New postby Greg Davis » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:07 pm

Somewhere in the rafters of my house resides a Simplex time card machine previously used by the Harris County (TX) government in some capacity. It was decomissioned and placed up for auction on their tiny and hard to find web site. Bidding started at $1 and I was the only bidder, so that's what I paid. I had to pick it up myself, which added the cost of a couple gallons of gas (about $3 at that time). At that price I just couldn't pass it up.

Another of my "industrial" timekeepers is a mechanical parking meter. I don't remember exactly how I came to own this piece... I think I found it in an antique store during one of my many trips while living in Texas. It's in pretty good condition, but I don't have the key so I can't service it without incurring the cost of getting a locksmith to open it. I think I paid about $5 for it, but wouldn't swear to that. I bought it as a sort of gag. I was going to put it on a pole in our driveway, but decided against that when it occurred to me that it sorta kinda fit into my horological collection (in a quirky way). So now it too resides in my rafters, waiting for me to figure out what to do with it. Someday I'll have it re-keyed... maybe.
Regards,

- Greg
Greg Davis

Skype Account: greg.davis120
NAWCC #: 150941

Re: Industrial timekeepers... a cheap way to enter the hobby

New postby Dave Coatsworth » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:24 pm

I have an early Duncan parking meter that I serviced and is now in great running condition. I think I took pictures as I serviced it. I'll see if I can find them. It is now mounted on a pole in our bathroom. (I'll let everyone guess where in the bathroom it is located. :D )
Dave Coatsworth

Re: Industrial timekeepers... a cheap way to enter the hobby

New postby Sheila » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:05 am

Greg,
You just gotta make 2008 the year you "Do Up" those pieces. They sound great, and you will love the look on the faces of those who get to enjoy them. I know I would.

Dave,
What a hoot! I just love it! Now that is fun.

Thanks guys for sharing.

Funny, but mechanical items of any kind, are more interesting to me these days, think it's part of the "Watch Thing" we all share?
Sheila Gilbert
Sheila

NAWCC #: Not an NAWCC member

Return to Industrial Timekeepers