Detex Newman

Re: Detex Newman

New postby gbtr-expert » Mon May 05, 2008 5:29 pm

Hi all you watchclock collectors: This is my first post and i am not sure how this all works but I will give it a try. I noticed in one of the posts that somebody had a full set of keys. I assume he meant station keys. Theoretically, the number of keys for a single portable watchclock could be from one to an infinite number and would be determined by the number of stations assigned to that particular watchclock. To know if you have a "full set" keys for any particular watchclock you would have to know how many stations are assigned. BTW each portable watchclock has three kinds of keys; a winding key, a key to open the case and a station key.

At last count I have 60 of these watchclocks (portable and single station) and think they are still the best buy in the collectable market.

If you are interested in these timepieces you should read, "The Watchman's Clock In America - A Brief History", Philip H Haselton and Paper II - The Watchman's Tell-Tale Clock, 1800 - 1920 , Dr. Paul Harrison. Both books are available from the NAWCC Library.

Bernie Pollack, President
Industrial Time Recorder Chapter 175, NAWCC
Bernard L. Pollack
gbtr-expert

NAWCC #: 058916

New postby Tom Seymour » Mon May 05, 2008 5:36 pm

Bernie, thanks for the post, and welcome to Global Horology!! I will be looking for those references. I have a few of these clocks and find them very interesting. Unfortunately I don't have the case key to many of them. But, the hunt is one of the best parts of the game!
Tom Seymour

Member:
Chapter #157,Chapter #192
Pacific Northwest
Tom Seymour

NAWCC #: 041293

New postby Tom Seymour » Tue May 06, 2008 4:44 pm

Here is a picture of the label inside one of mine.
detex2.jpg
Tom Seymour

Member:
Chapter #157,Chapter #192
Pacific Northwest
Tom Seymour

NAWCC #: 041293

New postby Dave Coatsworth » Tue May 20, 2008 12:14 am

So I am at the first annual Chapter 190 Mini-Mart yesterday and who should happen to have the tables right next to mine but Barbara Barnes and Lee Wade. Barbara pulls out a Detex Guardsman and dangles it in front of me. Needless to say it was sold before it touched down on her table. So, here is another variation of this timer...
Attachments
Detex1.jpg
Detex1.jpg (110.72 KiB) Viewed 3254 times
Detex2.jpg
Detex2.jpg (137.43 KiB) Viewed 3257 times
Dave Coatsworth

New postby Bill Kapp » Tue May 20, 2008 12:55 am

Dave,

That was a great mart that 190 put on. Nice to see old friends there and make some new ones. I sold one of those Detex watchclocks there also. Now what you need is a cabinet to keep it in that makes it a servicable wall clock. The Detex museum has one that is for the Eco Magneto, and I have one for the Newman that you can see at:

http://williamkapp.fortunecity.com/id44.htm

Not sure that there are many of them out there, but they are kinda cute.

Happy hunting,

Bill Kapp
Bill Kapp

NAWCC #: 108150

New postby Barbara Barnes » Tue May 20, 2008 1:04 am

Glad it went to a good home! :D

BTW, this was a great mart - well organized, good attendance and camaraderie among fellow NAWCC members.

And oh, those vintage WWII planes! They were impressive! Someone was floating around with a camera & tripod, so hopefully pics will show up here or on the NAWCC MB.
Barb
;)

NAWCC
Barbara Barnes

NAWCC #: 159984

New postby Dave Coatsworth » Tue May 20, 2008 2:37 am

That was Bill Robinson with the camera - the official Chapter 190 photographer. As soon as I get some of his photos, I'll post them. For those who don't know what we are talking about... The Chapter 190 Mini-Mart was held in the hanger of the Camarillo WWII Air Museum. They rolled most of the planes out in front of the hanger and allowed us to set up our 60 tables in the hanger. Admission to the Mart included admission to the museum. It turned out to be a great place to hold the Mart!
Dave Coatsworth

New postby Stephan » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:46 am

I have a couple of dials that I now realise fit these things. One is 68mm dia and the other is 57mm dia. Dials are the same on both at 57mm dia. Neither perfect but both usable. Both have DATEX WATCHCLOCK CORPORATION NEWMAN Boston Chicargo New york. printed on them. Happy to pass them on if someone can use them. I know I never will.
Learning all the time.
Stephan Gaal

Proud Member of Global Horology and Chapter 149
Stephan

Skype Account: stephan.gaal

Previous

Return to Industrial Timekeepers