Working with graphics

Ask how something works or for help in posting. NAWCC-related topics that were in this forum are in the Chapter 192 Meeting Room archive.

Working with graphics

New postby Stephan » Tue May 26, 2009 7:02 am

As our board grows I have noticed that some of the larger threads take a bit of time to load.
This appears to be the case when there are a number of pictures to load.
I like pictures and I have observed on several other boards that they have changed to a system where the graphics first load as a small size.
Then if you want to see them better you can click on a picture and a bigger verson of just that picture loads.
This would allow faster operation of the board overall and might allow us to have slightly larger pictures since they would only download
in the big size if you really want to see them.
Is this or something similar an option for us on this board ?
Learning all the time.
Stephan Gaal

Proud Member of Global Horology and Chapter 149
Stephan

Skype Account: stephan.gaal

Re: Working with graphics

New postby Glyn Meredith » Tue May 26, 2009 7:56 am

Stephan,

I've adjusted the board settings to create thumbnails where possible but it doesn't seem to be working. I'll have to confer with Greg about this.

Glyn
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby Glyn Meredith » Fri May 29, 2009 4:47 am

Uploaded pics are now appearing at a reduced size - not exactly thumbnails, but if you click on any of the recently uploaded pics they will reappear at the larger size that the poster chose when they were uploaded. The pictures are now automatically reduced to around max 400 pix wide or tall. I hope this helps for those who have had to wait a long time for picture-heavy topics to load. I can make future "thumbnails" smaller, if that's a popular demand.

Thanks for the suggestion, Stephan.

Glyn

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

New postby Peter Blunsdon » Fri May 29, 2009 3:42 pm

Glyn,

Can the uploaded pic be any size now?
Should we aim for recommended size, or is this asking too much of folks with limited facilities/experiance?

Peter
Peter Blunsdon

NAWCC #: 165916

New postby Glyn Meredith » Fri May 29, 2009 3:56 pm

I'm not sure there is any demand for pics larger than 800 x 800 pix at this time, Peter.

All jpegs are a balance between physical size, file size, and quality. Most members here choose to upload pics smaller than the maximum, both in pixel size and file size. For example, a common choice is a jpeg of 650 pix width, compressed and uploaded here in a file smaller than 200K. The bigger the file, the longer it takes for the page to load. For some, that is not a problem but for many, it really is troublesome.

Some people think that the bigger the file size, the better the quality but most quality is wasted on a PC screen.

The best way to deal with this is to experiment with different pixel dimensions and compressions. I'm sure most people will be surprised at how little quality is lost with quite severe compression, and the obvious benefit is that smaller files can be uploaded and downloaded much more quickly.

Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

New postby Glyn Meredith » Fri May 29, 2009 4:19 pm

Try this for an example. This pic is 1144 x 1130 pixels and comes in at 249K.

1144 x 1130 pix.jpg

The expanded picture on one click is nowhere near as large as 1144 x 1130. It looks to me to be about half that size.

Two clicks will bring it to full size. Try it.

Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Return to Message Board Help Desk