edit feature and time allowed to edit

Ask how something works or for help in posting. NAWCC-related topics that were in this forum are in the Chapter 192 Meeting Room archive.

Re: edit feature and time allowed to edit

New postby Cary Hurt » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:39 pm

Terry,

The moderation that you use as an example of the inconsistency of the notation is mine. I thought that would be obvious since I inserted the reason for the edit and my name at the point in the text where the modification took place. This was done after consulting with the author of the post, which is my habit before using my ability to edit a post.

While I admit that I thought the automatic notation would appear at the bottom, I really didn't think about checking the box to turn the feature on since I had manually entered a notation. I won't make that mistake again.

Regards,

Cary
Cary Hurt
Cary Hurt
GH Moderator

Skype Account: cary.hurt
NAWCC #: 143360

New postby terry hall » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:42 pm

Let me make it clear...

comments are not directed at any one person... and yes, the job of moderator/admin, etc is a thankless job...

the example referenced was indicated just because it was available...had the edit note... and was to the point...

the other examples mentioned in this thread are not so clearly(?) marked.

That is the purpose of this commentary.
terry hall

NAWCC #: 131347

New postby Cary Hurt » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:32 pm

Thanks Terry,

I just wanted to clarify how the example came about. I agree that there should be a consistent policy, and I intend to try to be more consistent myself.

Regards,

Cary
Cary Hurt
Cary Hurt
GH Moderator

Skype Account: cary.hurt
NAWCC #: 143360

New postby Barbara Barnes » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:47 pm

A recent example of “moderator edit” was the edit note in another topic as mentioned earlier in this thread. Any registered member could read it and be aware of the "edit" since there is the "edit notation". This “action” gives credibility, not only to the edited post but to the moderator who accounted for his actions.

Had there not been a completely new post, which happened to be my reply, in “new board – new situation”, the edited message (first post) might have been mistakenly misinterpreted as original text since the edit feature did not display on the dormant post.

Speaking for me, without the "edit display" functioning consistently for all members, the integrity and credence (of the text, postings, MB rules, members, etc.,) on this message board could be compromised.

It has been explained theoretically how the display feature is "supposed to work" with subsequent posts when an original message has been edited but it has not been explained clearly “why it is not working”.
Barb
;)

NAWCC
Barbara Barnes

NAWCC #: 159984

Previous

Return to Message Board Help Desk