edit feature and time allowed to edit

Ask how something works or for help in posting. NAWCC-related topics that were in this forum are in the Chapter 192 Meeting Room archive.

edit feature and time allowed to edit

New postby Barbara Barnes » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:28 pm

In this topic “new board – new situation”, there was an edit made to the original post of Jan 22, 2008. There were two subsequent posts that did not trigger the edit feature.

:?: Why does the edit feature not display?

Also, I am under the impression that the amount of time permitted to edit our messages is 10 min but this is not clear. I find one post says 10 min and another says 20 min.

:?: How much time do we have to edit our post?

Thanks in advance.
Barb
;)

NAWCC
Barbara Barnes

NAWCC #: 159984

Re: edit feature and time allowed to edit

New postby John Johnson » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:53 pm

Barb,

I am nearly certain do to much debate for no time limit, we changed the 10 minute feature to 20. I will confirm that though and let you know if I am remiss.
John Johnson
John Johnson

Skype Account: John E Johnson

New postby Cary Hurt » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:55 pm

Barbara,

I believe, along with John, that the edit limit is set at 20 minutes.

The notation is activated only when there have been subsequent posts to the message. The programmers apparently thought it unnecessary to show the notation if no one has responded to the message, but that it should show if a post was changed after a response.

At least that's how I understand it.

Cary
Cary Hurt
Cary Hurt
GH Moderator

Skype Account: cary.hurt
NAWCC #: 143360

New postby Glyn Meredith » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:06 am

The message in question was edited once, if I recall correctly, and that was done while it was the only message in the topic.

Since the topic contains information about my personal financial affairs, perhaps it would be better to delete it. ;)
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

New postby Barbara Barnes » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:27 am

The ONLY example I could find . . . for an edited message . . . that does not display or indicate . . . . a time stamp or edit note . . . was the one posted in this topic. The subject matter is irrelevant in this discussion.

Out of respect for the posting, I did not hijack that topic and felt it more appropriate to start my own thread.

I'd like to bring the focus back to the questions . . . .

why doesn't the edit feature display?

how much time is there to edit a post?

Thanks again. ;)
Barb
;)

NAWCC
Barbara Barnes

New postby Glyn Meredith » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:57 am

Barbara Barnes wrote:why doesn't the edit feature display?

how much time is there to edit a post?

Thanks again. ;)

Maybe it's because nobody had replied to the opening post. Some message boards that I am familiar with treat an opening post as being under the control of the opening poster until somebody replies, which means that the OP can edit or delete the message at will until somebody replies. My guess is that this happens here too. However, I cannot find any documentation on this that specifically relates to this board.

Here are the the board settings that concern editing posts:

Post settings --> Posting

Limit editing time: 20 Minutes

Display last edited time information: Yes

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

New postby terry hall » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:35 am

Does the setting apply to both 'regular' posters and persons with moderation/admin ability?

I seem to recall some edits, etc that took place in this topic

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2045

The edit(s) were performed by the moderator or admin...

With the setting for edit at 10 or 20 minutes, the original poster cannot edit their post... so the edit notification feature could possibly not even apply to 'regular' posters...
(and I am NOT calling for longer edit times, etc... we have discussed this before ... )

In the other topic mentioned... additional information seemed to have been posted some time after the 10 or 20 minute edit time had expired...

as Glyn indicated with this sentence

I had forgotten all about this topic and it had been inactive for some months so I edited the message to show the details up to the time I wrote the message.

Also, i see your ;) below in the comment about deleting the topic....not really sure how to take it... if anything is deleted, (I) feel it should only be the link in the initial post in "this" thread.... my .02
terry hall

NAWCC #: 131347

New postby Glyn Meredith » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:58 pm

terry hall wrote:Does the setting apply to both 'regular' posters and persons with moderation/admin ability? ...

In the other topic mentioned... additional information seemed to have been posted some time after the 10 or 20 minute edit time had expired...

Also, i see your ;) below in the comment about deleting the topic....not really sure how to take it... if anything is deleted, (I) feel it should only be the link in the initial post in "this" thread.... my .02

Terry: moderators and admins can edit any post at any time. Certainly, in the topic referred to, information was added some months after the original message was posted. I think that's the original point that Barb picked up.

;) ... is a wink - just my sense of humor.

Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

New postby terry hall » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:47 am

Thanks for the reply...

Yes I would understand and expect moderators/administrators to have the ability to edit at any time... or else HOW can they moderate.....

the point being... and i think this is what Barbara was asking initially....

when they do this does the notification of edit show? yes or no... and if no ... why not

It does not seem to show in the topic/posts mentioned... which is the reason for the entire topic here.

I did, however see a topic TODAY that did show an edit, obviously by a moderator,as the original author 'thanked' him for editing the post... but in the actual topic it showed the author edited the post... which 'could' have happened in the edit time frame.... but the edit by the moderator does not seem to be shown.

viewtopic.php?f=88&t=2342&p=13965#p13965

Ok on the ;) , but maybe some statements regarding deletions, etc should not be winked on.... we are still raw from past experiences... :cry:
terry hall

New postby John Johnson » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:00 am

Terry,

The edit feature only works if the moderator fills out a title field stating why the message was edited. If this field is left blank then no edit feature shows within the post. If you go back you will see there are some posts where I wrote I edited for spelling at the authors request. If I had not filled out this field there would be no notation. There is no feature within the message board software that automatically does this to my knowledge. Forum hosts, moderators, and admins are all instructed to fill out this field when editing anothers post. I hope this answers your questions.
John Johnson
John Johnson

New postby Barbara Barnes » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:19 am

After all this discussion . . . .please confirm my understanding of the edit display . . . . that when an admin or moderator edits another person's post . . . . they need to check a box . . . . so that the edit note will display?. . . . .Correct?

I have edited this message @ 8:27/8:28 pm within the time frame allowed.

As the author of my post, when I am on the edit post page, there is no box for me to check to enable an edit note to display. Is the display option only available for admin & moderators only?

It will be interesting to see if a subsequent post will trigger an edit note now.
Barb
;)

NAWCC
Barbara Barnes

New postby John Johnson » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:33 am

Barb,

Maybe I wasn't clear in my earlier reply. There is no box to check. There is a "reason for edit" title field where the reason must be typed in by hand by the admin. There will not be one for a original poster because the original author really has no reason to state why they have edited their post, and if they feel compelled to they can write it in the subject area along with the edit.

I also believe that the edit default feature will not notate unless someone posts after you within that 20 minute time limit, before you had a chance to make your edit. For example you post at 9am. I reply at 9:06 to your post, and then you edit it for spelling at 9:10. Then the default edit feature should notate and kick in. If I were to wait until 9:12, then your edit would take place before another post and would not show the edit as a default.
John Johnson
John Johnson

New postby Barbara Barnes » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:07 am

John,

you were clear about "field" - it was my error in using the word " box " because that's what I saw when editing my post. . . options boxes to check to attach signature, etc. I didn't see a "field" but I still should have used the same terminology of "field" as you did. Sorry for the confusion.

I would like to work in tandem with someone to verify your comment
>>>"I also believe that the edit default feature will not notate unless someone posts after you within that 20 minute time limit, before you had a chance to make your edit. For example you post at 9am. I reply at 9:06 to your post, and then you edit it for spelling at 9:10. Then the default edit feature should notate and kick in. If I were to wait until 9:12, then your edit would take place before another post and would not show the edit as a default." <<<

Perhaps tomorrow . . . .
Barb
;)

NAWCC
Barbara Barnes

New postby Glyn Meredith » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:20 am

terry hall wrote:... Ok on the ;) , but maybe some statements regarding deletions, etc should not be winked on.... we are still raw from past experiences... :cry:

Thanks for making my ;) ok in this instance.

Do you know of any instance here where a member's post has been edited or deleted wrongly?

Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

New postby terry hall » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:37 pm

Do you know of any instance here where a member's post has been edited or deleted wrongly?

"wrongly?"

No Sir... i have no direct knowledge to compile an answer for that...

and that is not the point trying to be made in this thread (from my understanding) so let's take the judgement of apparent or alledged past moderations out if it for a bit.

There are examples mentioned in this topic where the information has changed at some point in time and there is no indication of an edit in the mentioned topics...
that is the root issue being questioned. there are no black helicopters hovering in the horizon... :lol:

The most direct response has been from John

here...

The edit feature only works if the moderator fills out a title field stating why the message was edited. If this field is left blank then no edit feature shows within the post. If you go back you will see there are some posts where I wrote I edited for spelling at the authors request. If I had not filled out this field there would be no notation. There is no feature within the message board software that automatically does this to my knowledge. Forum hosts, moderators, and admins are all instructed to fill out this field when editing anothers post. I hope this answers your questions.

and here

Maybe I wasn't clear in my earlier reply. There is no box to check. There is a "reason for edit" title field where the reason must be typed in by hand by the admin. There will not be one for a original poster because the original author really has no reason to state why they have edited their post, and if they feel compelled to they can write it in the subject area along with the edit.

But... if the edit time limit expires for the original poster, then the only person(s) that can edit a posting is the Moderator or Admin... correct...?
IF the field is not filled out (for whatever reason)... then the information "appears" it has been in its current form all along...

This is the point...

We all experienced this situation in our 'past collective history' .... and it was understood this situation would not repeat itself...

Again there is no inference of any wrongdoing... this is just something that has been noticed and is being questioned.

John mentions here
Forum hosts, moderators, and admins are all instructed to fill out this field when editing anothers post.

This appears to be something that is not being done on a consistent basis... also it appears there should be a consistent format in the composition of the field notation... simply providing the information of who, what, when, why when applied to the particular edit....

onward.
terry hall

Next

Return to Message Board Help Desk