Posting pics inline

Ask how something works or for help in posting. NAWCC-related topics that were in this forum are in the Chapter 192 Meeting Room archive.

Posting pics inline

New postby Glyn Meredith » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:18 pm

Hi folks. When you post with attached pictures, you can place those pics "inline". It removes the scrappy "ATTACHMENTS" border from around the pic(s) and makes a post look neater and more presentable. Up to now, the vast majority of you do this but I would like everyone posting pics here to follow this simple procedure:

Place your cursor at the point in your message where you would like your pic to appear and you click the Place Inline button that appears next to each uploaded attachment (usually a pic). You will than notice that a small piece of code appears in the body of your message, each piece of code representing one attachment. You can spread your pics around at strategic points in your post or place them in any order.

As I mentioned, most of you already do this, but every day I fix posts that do not have the pics inline. Usually, I leave a small edit message explaining what I have done. I would really prefer not to have to do this.

Your cooperation and compliance would be much appreciated.

Many thanks for your support.
Posted on GH recently? Your posts keep us going.

Meridian Height photo galleries

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

Skype Account: nerimajin

Re: Posting pics inline

New postby brownsrplm » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:12 pm

"Form follows function" Louis Sullivan "What people want, above all, is order" Stephen Gardiner
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

New postby Glyn Meredith » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:22 pm

brownsrplm wrote:"Form follows function" Louis Sullivan ...

Here it is:

It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic,
Of all things physical and metaphysical,
Of all things human, and all things super-human,
Of all true manifestations of the head,
Of the heart, of the soul,
That the life is recognizable in its expression,
That form ever follows function. This is the law.

brownsrplm wrote:..."What people want, above all, is order" Stephen Gardiner

... Who also wrote:

Good buildings come from good people, and all problems are solved by good design.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

New postby brownsrplm » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:41 pm

Glyn,
Thanks for finding the full quotes, it's been a while since I studied either of these individuals (architecture) and couldn't give a full quote; these are applicable to what you are trying to convey with this site...
Raymund L. Brown
"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company".

George Washington
brownsrplm

NAWCC #: 177619

New postby cannon pinion » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:24 pm

Glyn - I might be an occasional inadvertent offender, tho I try to get them in line. I'm not very interested in computers, and so try to find the quickest route, which is not always the best.
Can you advise on a better way to post - i have to compress the pic in my Office Picture Manager prior to posting, and then they will only load one at a time. They do not go into the post in the order I try to put them. Any tricks appreciated or alternate routes - i will try your cursor trick next time I post.
Andrew Yale
cannon pinion

New postby Glyn Meredith » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:24 am

Andrew, pics do load only one at a time. Experiment with the procedure that I have outlined and I'm sure you will get the hang of it. Don't compress your pics too much or they will not click up to a decent size. We can take any attachment up to a file size of 300 Mb and you can put up to eight pics in one post.

If you have any trouble posting pics, please email the originals to me and I will fix them and post them.

Many thanks for your support.

Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

New postby Marty101 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:44 am

Hey Andy. I have trouble with the order myself. Try downloading last first and first last. :? It seems to work for me.
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

NAWCC #: 0168154

New postby Charlief7 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:17 am

I have tried posting pictures on a couple of occasions and have been told the file is to large,I know this isn,t a computing forum but how to I get them to attach.
Andy
Andrew Foden
Charlief7

New postby Marty101 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:01 am

Andy Glyn will help you. I used to use Picasa but they are gone now. All I can do to help until Glyn gets here is tell you I have to shrink the picture to 640 pixels and export it so it will download here. If that doesn't help,please be patient-I want to see those pics myself. :)
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

NAWCC #: 0168154

New postby Glyn Meredith » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:21 am

Andy, the goal is not to reduce the physical dimensions of the pic but to reduce the file size, which is easily achieved with JPEGs since the whole point of them is that the files can be 'compressed'.

If you have any problems at all uploading pics, please e-mail them to me for re-sizing and posting.

Glyn Meredith
Site Manager

New postby Stephan » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:54 am

This has a resize option in it and it is still free.

http://www.irfanview.com/
Learning all the time.
Stephan Gaal

Proud Member of Global Horology and Chapter 149
Stephan

Skype Account: stephan.gaal

Return to Message Board Help Desk