Here is a watch I've wanted for a long time:
After I got the first E series functioning, I took it's carriage apart, cleaned and oiled it and closed up the oversize pivot holes. The improvement was immediately obvious - it now runs 24 hours on a wind instead of 16 and starts up without any shaking.
Emboldened by that repair, I bought a second series E for very cheap,which turned out to need major work. There was no crown or winding gear, so I had to transfer those from the A series parts watch.
The crown is riveted to the stem, so I had to remove the winding pinion and then stake it back on the stem inside the case.
The hook for the mainspring was busted off the arbor, so I tried to replace the whole plate with the A series plate, which had a hook. But it didnt fit right. After some examination, I realized I could unthread the arbor complete with hook from the plate, so I was able to switch that out.
Then I had to punch a new hole in the broken spring. The main problem was pinning the hairspring back in place. It's attached to the plate with a fragile brass stud, which is pressed in. It was loose in the hole so I had to shellac it in place.
That watch isn't running yet, but the work made me feel comfortable enough to splurge on this skeleton model. Two came up on E Bay within a week, I bought the second, more complete of the two.
Here are some more photos to show how it all goes together:
As of now, I have punched a new hole in the mainspring, and am puzzling out why the carriage won't rotate. I think it is one of two things, or maybe both: a bent tooth on the duplex escape wheel or the poor mesh of the train gears caused by a lot of excessive side and endshake.
I also want to check the clearance slot in the balance shaft for dirt.
Likely I will begin on it this afternoon. I have to be in just the right mood to work on these long winds. More so now that I've seen how persnickety they can be.
It's a skeltonized version of the famous Waterbury Long Wind. I have 4 of these now - first I got a partial A series movement, then a second E series movement. The E series I got going after some fiddling, but it had some problems that were only resolved with the kind help of another GH member.