A huge Elgin

A huge Elgin

New postby Mikie_T » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:07 pm

Hello all,
I recently acquired this SIZE 37 watch / clock. I wasn't sure if I should post it in this forum but I thought maybe there would be more Elgin experts here than in the clock forum.
AS I UNDERSTAND IT..... Elgin never REALLY got into the clock making business. I have seen MANY clocks that have the Elgin name attached to them but they were not made by Elgin. These were either made in Germany or Japan or elsewhere.

BUT.....

This is an actual Elgin that you can search the SN data base and it gives you....
Year... 1926, Grade... 471, Size... 37, Jewels... 7, 8 day movement.

I know that Elgin made some large movements that were used as wind-up car clocks. I have seen these and they have a L..O..N..G winding stem. But, this one has a short stem and a fancy dial. The octagon shaped bezel makes it look like it belongs in a clock case.

Anyway, any of you Elgin guys have any idea of the history of this animal?

The movement:

movement.jpg

The dial:

face.jpg

And the back cover resembles a pocket watch back cover:

back.jpg

Now this would sure make a BIG pocket watch!!

Mike
:D
Mike Turner

Elgin National Watch Company, Elgin, Illinois.... Founded 1864. Makers of Pocket Watches, Wrist Watches, Bomb Sights and Precision Instruments.
Mikie_T

Re: A huge Elgin

New postby Mikie_T » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:31 pm

I just did a little "ciphering"...
This movement is a size 37 movement, which when translated into inches would be about 2 3/8".
For comparison, an 18 size movement is about 1 13/16".
SO....

2 3/8" minus 1 13/16" gives a difference of only 9/16"...... Just over 1/2"..!!
(that is not a whole lot...)

So you see, a 37 size movement is not TWICE as big as an 18 size movement. There is really not that much difference in actual size.

Mike
:o
Mike Turner

Elgin National Watch Company, Elgin, Illinois.... Founded 1864. Makers of Pocket Watches, Wrist Watches, Bomb Sights and Precision Instruments.
Mikie_T

New postby veritas » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:25 pm

Far as i know Elgin made these clocks, like Waltham did, 37 sz, and in different jeweled movements. I wish i had a Elgin movement like this one, i only have the Walthams, nice find . Looks in great shape.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

New postby Mikie_T » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:30 pm

Yes, it's in great shape.
The more I look, it seems like this one should have been in a folding travel case. I guess the case was busted or something and someone salvaged the movement.
I have been looking on the auction sites and it seems there may be 1 of these for every 15 (or so) car clocks. Same movement but different application.

This is all new to me. More research pending.

Mike
Mike Turner

Mikie_T

New postby Stephan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:44 am

The car clocks with the long stem were intended to go into the dash and the stem stuck out the bottom so you could wind it.
There were some others that were intended to mount to the center of the steering wheel is a sort of bracket and those had a short stem.
Your clock MAY be one of those but the shape points to something of a more decorative nature.

I have had a few travel clocks and most of those wind from the back. Many have an alarm as well.

There are also some 37 size pocket watches about. Often called Goliath watches. Lot of European companies made them.
Similar movement used again but look like a big pocket watch. These were more of a travel clock and usually came in a leather or silver box.

Waltham made a lot of these big movements.

I have one that winds from the front and it was made to go in a Tank.
Learning all the time.
Stephan Gaal

Proud Member of Global Horology and Chapter 149
Stephan

Skype Account: stephan.gaal

New postby JerryT » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:44 am

Mike - I believe that a fancy clock like yours would have been a travel clock.
Jerry Treiman
NAWCC member since 1971
Charter member of Pocket Horology Chapter 174
JerryT

NAWCC #: 024657

New postby Mikie_T » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:49 am

Stephan wrote:
I have one that winds from the front and it was made to go in a Tank.

WOW, what a cool clock! WInds from the front....
Yes, as I understand it, we left a bunch of tanks and Jeeps down in your country after WWII.... LOL

I would love to see a picture of the clock you found.

Mike
Mike Turner

Mikie_T

New postby Mikie_T » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:53 am

JerryT wrote:Mike - I believe that a fancy clock like yours would have been a travel clock.

Yes, I did spend some time looking around the net and found this travel clock:

inside case.jpg

Sure looks a lot like the face of mine.

face.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys!

Mike
Mike Turner

Mikie_T

New postby Dch48 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:07 am

I have one that is a little different and is a travel clock. Mine is a Waltham however but the same size and the movements look very similar.
WalthamInCase.jpg
Donald C. Henderson
Dch48

New postby veritas » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:59 pm

Saw a few of these on Ebay, described as ships chronometers, which they are not. Gave me a good laugh. My favourite on i have is a Waltham and its 15 jewels, love it , great clocks made. Wish to get one made by Elgin one day. Thanks for showing the clocks here.
Kevin West
veritas

Skype Account: veritas323

New postby Mikie_T » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:05 pm

Nice looking travel clock Donald.

Mike
Mike Turner

Mikie_T

Return to Elgin pocket watches