My latest acquisition (Dueber)

My latest acquisition (Dueber)

New postby perby » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:54 am

Hi all,
Not only did I find a great clock today, I also picked up this Hampden Dueber 21j 18s OF, adj 5 position watch.
Unfortunately it needs a M/S, but know my watchmaker will make short work of that as he does the COA, and cleans the dial
for me.
I am not a Hampden collector, so any information on this particular watch would be welcomed, either good or no so much,
I have got most of the database stuff, but want to know of the demand or collectability of this one, seeing as I do not
see a lot of Duebers around,
Thanks,
Bill

Dueber watch 3031390 004.jpg
Dueber watch 3031390 001.jpg
Last edited by Glyn Meredith on Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Pics placed inline
Bill Manders
perby

Re: My latest acquisition (Dueber)

New postby Marty101 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:53 am

Bill I consider that Hampden Dueber of yours to be of a high quality and a very dependable railroad grade pocket watch. I'm guilty of owning several Hampdens and can't complain.

Any running RR watch is collectible in my opinion...that looks like a better quality case,by the way. :)
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

NAWCC #: 0168154

New postby perby » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:15 am

Marty,
Thanks for the kind remarks, I have been checking further on this "Dueber" grade watch, and it appears that it might not have been accepted on some RR's.
It is RR grade, but not necessarily approved apparently. I do not know which would or would not have accepted it.
Oh well, the price was right and it is RR grade, so it is another neat watch. I will be sending out next week for servicing.
I have not been able to find out how many were made of this particular model, but think it might be rather limited ????
Bill
Bill Manders
perby

New postby Marty101 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:59 am

Bill,where are you looking? This was a 5 position / 21 jewel watch and over qualified in both the USA and Canada for RR service. I really have trouble thinking it was refused anywhere;I sure hope not!

Try this site for data: http://www.nawcc-ch149.com/db_resch/Hampden_1230.html
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

New postby perby » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:16 pm

Marty,
I am of the same thought, but this thread was on an Nawcc thread I believe from Kent. Where there had not been any ads noted with the Dueber grade Hampden, He was quick to point out it might have been as a result of Hampden not wanting to take away from the more expensive Hampdens of the time. Hopefully I was not reading it wrong, which sometimes happens.
But it was stated that they might not have been accepted on some lines, even though it was of the requirements.
Who Knows for sure ????
Bill
Bill Manders
perby

New postby Marty101 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:59 am

Bill,I do know many RR quality models were not pushed commercially for one reason or another back in the day... Take Hamilton for example. Everyone has heard of the #992 and the #950. But do you hear much about the #972?
Keep winding things,
Marty Bell
Marty101

Return to Hampden pocket watches