My Hamilton "with a story"

Moderator: pocwatjim

My Hamilton "with a story"

New postby Mikie_T » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:46 pm

Hello all....
I purchased this Hamilton Gr 956 a few years ago at a local antique store. One of the first things I noticed was an inscription on the case back cover that appears to have been done with a vibrating scribe. The inscription reads "James E Hancock .... Mindanao P.I. ....1945". Then I began to wonder if this watch had once belonged to an American Soldier who was in the Philippines during WWII.
I love WWII history and I have a HUGE respect for the men and women who served in the military (this war and all others!).
Also, I thought, could this watch have been purchased by that soldier in the P.I. at that time? The vintage of this watch is 1921 so of course it wasn't new in 1945. Maybe the soldier took it with him and had it inscribed there as a remembrance of being in Mindanao.
Anyway, it sure is amazing to me that a few lines of inscription on a watch case can send you "back in time" and then wonder where this watch has been in it's "lifetime".
Thanks for looking.....

The inscription.... I sure hate someone has tried to remove the inscription
Case back inscription.JPG

The movement...
1921Nov15 gr956 mod1 16s 17J Pendant.JPG

The dial.....
dial.JPG

Thanks for looking everyone!

Mike
Mike Turner

Elgin National Watch Company, Elgin, Illinois.... Founded 1864. Makers of Pocket Watches, Wrist Watches, Bomb Sights and Precision Instruments.
Mikie_T

Return to Hamilton pocket watches